Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use liquid smoke occasionally. Like @Naftoor said, you need very little. It tastes/smells unpleasant if you add too much.
I agree. I make pulled pork in an instant pot and use about 1/4 teaspoon. However, if there is no liquid to disperse it, not sure how it would work. I have some rubs that have slight smoke flavor that would probably work.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s a preference thing. I have a smoker and smoke meats frequently in the summer. I don’t even like certain woods and types of smokers. For me it’s hardwood lump or actual wood chunks, I don’t like pellets or chips as much. The liquid smoke is just wrong to me. It works very lightly in sauces heavy with vinegar, sugar etc, but not directly on meat. Personally I’d rather taste the meat without that smoke liquid tang, taste like creosote to me, like cold meat on a hot smoke or dirty white smoke on a bbq. No offense to others who use it, purely my taste and opinion.

Roasted Pork Loin seasoned with Killer Hogs—garnished with Sanshō, Crunchy Garlic Chili Oil, Shichimi Togarashi, Pan Sauce, Salt from Île de Ré
D2D5C51E-D6B5-46CF-8863-A270FF1A4023.jpeg

1ED4601F-B6CB-4DB3-BC9D-C5FAFFC536AF.jpeg

74C905EA-0DDA-4E2C-B9FE-34209F510F91.jpeg

0936E0F5-E4CA-4C6B-B990-AD15CF22D8E5.jpeg

B51655E3-C869-4971-8213-2C250C165F6F.jpeg

Smoked salt is great. You may want to try a smoked paprika too, it should be in every cooks cabinet imo. Adds a very nice sweet smokey flavor, adds great color too. It would help you fake a smoke ring likely too it’s color is so vibrant.

Last edited:
Korean chickn 치킨 lettuce wrap with sweet gochujang sauce
Quick Friday night dinner after a long week
The savages got to it before I could compose a plate
IMG_3851.jpeg

IMG_3849.jpeg
IMG_3847.jpeg

Kamon Denty Cleaver on deck for prep
This knife always puts a smile on my face
Don’t tell Ben…don’t want to further inflate his ego or other body parts!!😜

Attachments

• IMG_3852.jpeg
    IMG_3852.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
liquid smoke has its place in, as noted, very small quantities.

a tip:

i have homemade smoked hay infused rapeseed oil that works great.
just fire up some hay and then strain the oil thru it.
gives a balanced still potent smoke flavour. doesn't taste or smell too concentrated or sharp. but it can sure vary between batches if you don't go scientific about it – which i (i.e. my better half who spends time in the stable) don't.

Smoked salt is great. You may want to try a smoked paprika too, it should be in every cooks cabinet imo. Adds a very nice sweet smokey flavor, adds great color too. It would help you fake a smoke ring likely too it’s color is so vibrant.
I will do that next round! This round just came off oven rest:

IMG_3888.jpeg

I will probably mix up an awaze sauce with extra lemon to act in the paprika role.

OMG, a guy cannot leave home for a few days...the stuff you put out here is amazing!

pizza evening here, slow ferment, 80% hydration, approx 24 hours....pics to follow

Back