Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wonder what folks did eat regionally before extensive sea travel started, take potatoes, chillies, peppers and tomatoes out of many kitchens and what are you left with?

Thai without chillies? Italian without tomatoes? German or nordic kitchen without potatoes?

In the end Japanese are likely Korean given the matching genes, even if they don't seem to like that thought...so not even the Japanese are authentic ;-)

0908201741.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic. It is the Japanese equivalent of the town crier. Woodblock print of what's happening. Portuguese man o war in harbor. Writing is old Japanese. Was purchased by a patient stationed in japan 30+ yrs ago. He could not find anyone that could translate. It was a gift as he was moving frame is my doing he had it rolled up in his basement. Apologies for off topic but while we are doing japanophile....

shhh don't tell anyone, call google and suggest it as a marketable item! Google Grades, after googling X amount of data and spending Y amount of time with the info on screen (nobody knows if you read it so this will serve as proxy) you get Google points, that build up towards a grade.

Mmmm, slow-cooked osso buco with cauliflower puree, sadly defiled with beans.

I had far fewer swiss brown mushrooms than I thought, so I went out to get some more, and could only get the small white (boring) ones, but they actually worked really well from a textural POV, they were really good.
XH1A4704.jpg
XH1A4697.jpg
XH1A4698.jpg
XH1A4701.jpg
XH1A4699.jpg

Last edited:
Inspired by @Lars and @parbaked I decided to jump on the pesto-not-pesto train. Those guys did a rocket/arugula version, I decided to try kale. The "pesto" is made from kale, basil, walnut (toasted), garlic, pecorino romano DOP, olive oil, salt. The pasta was some orecchiette that I thought might help scoop up the pesto.

1-ingredients.png

2-kale-pesto.png

Verdict? A bit too much kale, not enough pesto 🤣 Still though, this hides an entire bunch of kale in the sauce and it's still pretty darn good. I would tweak the ratio next time. This was approx. 2 cups packed torn kale to approx. 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves. Just ran out of basil on my poor lil basil plant.

And always remember: If you stage your ingredients for a photo before cooking, it adds +5 flavor damage.

Chinese style Stir fry—organic yellow carrot, ‘lil courgette, mangetout, orange capsicum, celery, Spanish onion, vegan Italian sausage.

Pan-Asian seasonings: Japanese shoyu and sesame oil; fresh garlic, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, Pakistani ginger-garlic paste; Korean gochujang; Chinese hoisin, oyster sauce, lao gan ma, Shaoxing rice wine; black pepper.

Kitchen tool: Shig.

9AE35CA2-BCF4-467B-BD68-C8F4DB97CC41.JPG

A02308DB-4A87-460C-AF69-14FCABE86625.JPG

58539B79-51F2-4DA0-9778-A1AC9D8348E0.JPG
1DAD6151-556A-43D6-A01B-5AFC7F884FF1.JPG

Today's FEASTING: breakfast was the usual, but we do love it, even after a couple of years. Haloumi kicks everything up a notch. Lunch was massaman curry on a chaffle, but as proof that I really don't care what I eat (unless it's soap), I added a few pickled habaneros that I needed to empty out of the container so I could wash it.

XH1A4706.jpg
XH1A4708.jpg

Are nikujaga and korokke not authentic because they weren't adopted pre-Meiji Restoration, or because they contain ingredients that were introduced from foreign countries? Is rice not authentic because it came from mainland Asia? How much time is required for something to become authentic? Is the only true Japanese food elk and yamaimo? 🤔

For what it's worth, I spent one summer in the mountains of Shikoku, where they spoke a Heike dialect traced back to their exile from Honshu in the 12th century. Arguably more 'authentically' Japanese than 99% of the population. A few neighbors still had thatch roofs. Their diet was mostly potatoes, the regular western variety ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The greatest thing about being Chinese-Canadian is that everything I cook is both a knock-off AND inspired by cultures around me. All I have to do is add a drop of maple syrup in anything and instantly its authentic Canadian!

Sorry, can’t help you there! But I know of someone who can. I summon @Isasmedjan!!! ’Hallå där din röde skäggbuse med horn och runor i hela ansiktet - hur göre man egäntligen för att vikinga vilt?!’

Well, since @Isasmedjan is too bad at log in here it takes some time to summon him 😂
Jag vet äntä döh! Ja e int teräcklit ärfaren 🤷‍♂️

Today's FEASTING: breakfast was the usual, but we do love it, even after a couple of years. Haloumi kicks everything up a notch. Lunch was massaman curry on a chaffle, but as proof that I really don't care what I eat (unless it's soap), I added a few pickled habaneros that I needed to empty out of the container so I could wash it.

View attachment 93936View attachment 93937

Your lighting situation is envious!

Your lighting situation is envious!
Shot out on the balcony, shooting into the light source (in this case "the sun" :) with a wide-open aperture and then a bit of sharpening and a vignette added in post (via presets I've created, so just a single button push, basically). Normally I'd use my lightbox, but I've packed it away as we get ready to move.

Today became a weird "around the world day" making a bunch of different things to use up products sitting around in the fridge.

Leftover Mochi dipped in Tare and wrapped in nori from opened package
Cesar Salad, Turning brown Romaine, homemade croutons from Texas Toast laying around and dressing
Bean and Old Cheese Burritos Enchilada style with Guajillo salsa
And some "half assed" pasta just cause

Attachments

• 20200909_110300.jpg
    20200909_110300.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200909_113712.jpg
    20200909_113712.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200909_130145.jpg
    20200909_130145.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 7