Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How'd your new tangine perform? Looks fantastic!
This tagine has a lot of mass and seeing as how it was it’s first time out I kept the flame very moderate so it was a pretty slow, deliberate affair. For me, cooking in clay is equally about connecting with tradition as it is about performance and on that criteria we knocked one out of the park.

The tagine was delicious, I think it’s the first vegan one I’ve made. Definitely making it again.

Don’t be afraid to make this in any pot with a tight lid. I used frozen artichoke hearts

http://www.mymoroccanfood.com/home/artichoke-tagine-with-peas-and-preserved-lemon-vegan

I've never tried using a tagine. I suspect that a Römertopf would be a decent substitute?

I've never tried using a tagine. I suspect that a Römertopf would be a decent substitute?
Michi, the Roman pot (romertopf) is all about creating a moist atmosphere for food being cooked in an oven. It’s not used, afaik, on a stovetop.

The tagine was developed by Berber nomads as a portable oven to be used above an open flame. Whole different concept.

I’d start out with a La chamba casserole way before I’d get a tagine. These guys are unglazed but very smooth and lightweight, comparatively. The first time I made a pot of beans in one I was hooked

https://ancientcookware.com/la-chamba-collection/black-clay-la-chamba-casserole-detail
But really, any unglazed pot with a lid, or even a glazed one is terrific and generally pretty affordable. Chinese sand pots are sometimes only 15-20 bucks, they’re great for Mediterranean style cooking as well.

Last edited:
This is danish summer on a plate for me. Plaice with new potatoes and parsley sauce.
I channeled my inner maître d'hôtel and deboned the fish after cooking it on the bone.
IMG_2463.jpg

Made New Mexico pork tacos. I made this up. I made a New Mexico red Hatch chili sauce. Then I heated up left over grilled pork chops. My wife made the topping cabbage, onions, and jalapeno peppers lightly pickled using vinegar for 15 minutes. The tortillas were flame kissed on by the gas stove. It all came together for a quick lunch.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

We share fishing waters with the british, so it makes sense you had it there. I'm sure they make a great fish & chips.

I always love taking advantage of whatever seafood is prevalent wherever I happen to be. Here in NYC—striped bass, flounder, oysters/clams, sea bream and blue fish are wonderful. Easy to find quality branzino that's farmed and flown in from Israel, etc. I'm not far from the Russian/Ukrainian neighborhoods, so I sometimes come across herring, sturgeon, etc.

Michi, the Roman pot (romertopf) is all about creating a moist atmosphere for food being cooked in an oven. It’s not used, afaik, on a stovetop.
Right. It can only be used in an oven.

The tagine was developed by Berber nomads as a portable oven to be used above an open flame. Whole different concept.
Right. I figured that, even though a Römertopf doesn't have a steam vent, it might sort of work the same. But, thinking about it, I can see how the heat distribution and moisture retention would differ.

I’d start out with a La chamba casserole way before I’d get a tagine. These guys are unglazed but very smooth and lightweight, comparatively. The first time I made a pot of beans in one I was hooked
Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way that I can fit another large dish into my kitchen :(

This style of ham is known as "Nußschinken" in Germany. It doesn't have anything to do with nuts ("Nuß" means nut.) Rather, the piece of pork it is made with is called the "Nuß" (part of the hind leg).

This ham is cured and smoked, but not cooked. It falls into the general category of "Roher Schinken" (raw ham), of which there are countless varieties in Germany and Austria.

This is the piece of meat after two weeks in equilibrium cure:
IMG_4315.jpeg

With muscles separated and trussed, ready to dry for a week before it goes into the smoker:
IMG_4316.jpeg

And after three sessions of cold smoking for eight hours, one day apart, and then drying out for another week or so:
IMG_4347.jpeg

That is some serious dedication Michi! I hope it tastes as good as it looks.
Thank you! In terms of effort, there really is very little. It only takes about ten minutes to prepare the cure and seal it in with the meat. Then the meat sits in the fridge for two weeks or so. Occasionally, when I grab something else out of the fridge, I turn the meat over.

Trussing up the meat once it's out of the cure takes maybe fifteen minutes. Then it gets to hang and dry for a few more days.

And the smoking sessions aren't a big deal either. Five minutes to get the cold smoke generator going, and then go to sleep :)

In terms of taste, this is the real thing. It tastes just like many of those cured and cold-smoked hams you find in Austria and Germany.

The main motivation for making it is that I can't get this style of ham here. Unfortunately, I'm limited to about one or two months in mid-winter per year when I can actually make this. The rest of the time, it's too hot.

Chef John's Pulled Chicken Sloppy Joe. I followed the recipe, but added two tablespoons of home-made BBQ sauce to get a little bit more complexity into the mix. I didn't have any hamburger buns around, so a slice of bread had to make do :)

This turned out rather nice. Nothing fancy, but definitely a good feed on a cold night.
IMG_4349.jpg

Back