Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After all this talk about onion soup, I felt I had to keep up with the Joneses and made some, too. I used @Greenbriel's recipe. There was a bunch of Demi Glace in the freezer, which I tossed in, and it didn't do any harm. Tip: an extra splash of sherry does not spoil the soup either :)
IMG_4687.jpeg

Last edited:
After all this talk about onion soup, I felt I had to keep up with the Joneses and made some, too. I used @Greenbriel's recipe. There was a bunch of Demi Glace in the freezer, which I tossed in, and it didn't do any harm. Tip: an extra splash of sherry does not spoil the soup either :)
View attachment 167891
Looks fantastic, @Michi! I just made another batch using the Better Than Gourmet demi-glace and Minor’s base (I know, homemade for you 😁) plus Marmite and an anchovy (@btbyrd’s idea) , and it was very good. I put a hefty chug of sherry in there too. 🤪Yum!

Greek lemon chicken and potatoes has one of the best work/reward ratios that I can think of. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. Roast for 40 minutes adding a little stock, so it won't dry out. Baste occasionally and enjoy a glass of wine while you prepare to bask in the glory of your creation..!
IMG_6940.jpg

Fish and grits and all that pimp ****... everybody let me hear you say, oh yay-er!
Blackened wild grouper and shrimp, Marsh Hen Mill unicorn grits with smoked gouda, grilled pepper melange, and a veloute “gravy” made from a dashi of Benton's bacon and Father's country ham bones. Garnished with scallion and Neuske’s lardon. Collard greens braised in smoked pork dashi were served on the side. Yes, the fish is buried under a bunch of garnish. Yes, it was cooked just right. This was spectacular.

7AA6BCEE-84BA-40C3-92D1-0358BFA8E76B.JPG

I never really wanted to believe in what difference it could make, I grew a habit of using Carnaroli which is my favorite regular rice for risotto but Acquarello is something I can get used to ;-)
I felt the same about guanciale before trying it. I thought it was just hipster pancetta, but man it's a whole different thing entirely.

I never really wanted to believe in what difference it could make, I grew a habit of using Carnaroli which is my favorite regular rice for risotto but Acquarello is something I can get used to ;-)
Excuse my ignorance but I never gave risotto rice much though beyond "arborio". Could you explain what's better about Carnaroli and Acquarello? I'm intrigued!

Excuse my ignorance but I never gave risotto rice much though beyond "arborio". Could you explain what's better about Carnaroli and Acquarello? I'm intrigued!
Acquarello has a great flavor and holds it's texture well when cooked. It's not only good for risotto, but also cooked plain. I use it for Mexican rice as well and it has a nice chewy texture.

Acquarello has a great flavor and holds it's texture well when cooked. It's not only good for risotto, but also cooked plain. I use it for Mexican rice as well and it has a nice chewy texture.
Thanks Lars, I can't wait to try it!!

Hope you enjoy the duck!

Today I made Persian comfort food for dinner. Vaavishkaa is spiced ground beef with eggs and spring onion. Salad Bandari is a chopped salad. Had it with Basmati rice and plain yoghurt.
Both recipes are from Yasmin Khan's book 'The Saffron Tales'. I'm almost sure it was a recommendation from @rickbern and certainly it was Rick's enthusiasm for Fesenjoon that made me cook that dish right away when I got the book!
This was comfy and delicious. I imagine there are similar dishes all around the world. The ground beef dish reminded me of a Danish home cooked dish called 'Millionbøf', but we would have potatoes instead of rice and pickled beets on the side..
IMG_6945.jpg

Thanks both, I'm excited to get some risotto going with this stuff! Never heard of Carnaroli before let alone Acquarello! The things you learn around here! 😊

Thanks both, I'm excited to get some risotto going with this stuff! Never heard of Carnaroli before let alone Acquarello! The things you learn around here! 😊
There's also Baldo. It tends to be a little more forgiving. Won't "explode" as easily. A little richer than the others.

Back