Media Youtube AWESOME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people here would probably disagree. But I have to say that, if someone isn't into fancy knives, or can't afford them, the advice offered here is solid. If I had nothing but an 8" Victorinox Fibrox for the remainder of my days, I'd be sad, but it wouldn't slow down my cooking one bit.

PS: His channel is actually quite good. I've used a number of his recipes and haven't been disappointed so far.

I watched that video last night. He admits to spending too much on knives that were out of his league early on just to keep up with the other chefs in the kitchen. But he's right that you should focus on your skills over acquiring "good" equipment if you want to be a better cook. And @Michi is right, he does have pretty good recipes!

HC

The amazing part of that video isn’t the knife control but the offhand movement - such incredible control and smoothness!

I’ve been working on offhand control in my own fumbling home-cook-amateur way and it’s humbling how difficult it is to get fast, seamless, consistent movement like that.

A lot of people here would probably disagree. But I have to say that, if someone isn't into fancy knives, or can't afford them, the advice offered here is solid. If I had nothing but an 8" Victorinox Fibrox for the remainder of my days, I'd be sad, but it wouldn't slow down my cooking one bit.

PS: His channel is actually quite good. I've used a number of his recipes and haven't been disappointed so far.

It's good video, just title with all caps comes out weird. For a lot of people buying expensive knife and not using them right is waste, I have neighbor who literally bought Shun and does not use it because she feel it is too sharp. Only thing I do not like is the opinion like this is kind of too simplistic and it can be kind of polarizing like in some of the comments, I would really miss my nice knives if I can only use Victorinox or Dexter.

Edit: Guess the video kind do triggered me a little lol, my opinion on this is kind like "you can cook everything with cheap knives and expensive knives do not improve your skill, however they can improve your experience greatly", video comes out like "You should use cheap knives and the expensive ones are just beautiful display pieces that can't be used."

Last edited:

If I was doing something similar on say, galbi, and wanted even-depth across the entire cut, would a nakiri with a dead-flat profile be the knife to use? Or maybe flat-profile santoku?

I actually did this once for a galbi recipe and was a bit frustrated that I wasn’t getting even-depth cuts with my gyuto, probably due to too much belly (compounded by a lack of skill/experience).

What was the progression?

Ryan said on Instagram that it went from 120 up to 8K. Here's that post, which includes video showing the overall polish. I'm pretty sure there were some natural stones involved because of the nice contrast between the cladding and the core steel, plus I saw another photo of my 210 (that I also sent in for thinning) covered in mud. Whatever he did and whatever he used went well beyond both my humble skills and my humble sharpening setup.

And I only paid $30, which is freaking bonkercakes for the amount of work that went into it.

I’ve been on the fence about getting a Takeda but I think this video has convinced me to give it a shot. Freaking amazing

Like a TF, they're a bit of a gamble. My 210 had terrible wedging, which is why I sent it in for thinning. And since I was doing that, I figured "what the hell, send in the big boy too." Someone mentioned in another forum that one of their Takedas was "borderline dangerous" when doing horizontal cuts on onions, and that's how my 210 was as well. But that same person said they had other Takedas that were superstar performers out of the box, so it really does vary. My 300 had some wedging issues too, but there were thinner shoulders toward the front of the knife so I was able to use it on onions without fear. Even after thinning, there's some cracking on carrots, but it's still super fun to use. It cuts a lot better after the service, and not just because it's sharper -- knocking back the shoulders toward the tip really helped. Takedas are very interesting knives with a lot of personality, but wedging really can be a problem if you happen to get a not-so-great one. I've learned more about knives from my Takedas than I have from any other ones.

To bypass the lottery, you might try posting a WTB in the BST forum and see if anyone wants to part with a good instance. Or if you prefer to play the lottery and lose, you can always send it in.

I try to cut around the ribs while I'm making that first cut down the backbone. Other than that, this is pretty much how I filet fish. You won't make any friends by leaving bones in filets when you serve them.

aprilfoo.jpg

Latest posts

Back