‘Thumb nail’ or ‘Three finger’ test...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumb nail or 3 fingers

• Thumb

• Fingers

Results are only viewable after voting.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Time I think for another Silly Sunday Evening Poll...

I noted this when zooming in on a picture I took earlier. Which made me wonder, what do you prefer: Thumb or Fingers?

(It seems that apparently I use both, tho it’s kinda subconsciously).

9EB9BA1B-2745-49EB-88E2-54246DAABE15.jpeg

I do the thumb nail but I also do sort of an across edge scrape. The three finger test has never given me the feedback I want which is probably just because I'm so used to my way of testing. I scrape my finger or thumb pad perpendicular to the edge sort of how you feel for a burr but across the edge itself. Just what I've done for decades so I'm used to it and can usually feel differences.

Finger tests, but not the 3 finger one popularized by Murray C.

I do both fingernail and thumb to check on progress while sharpening. The use draw cuts on newspaper slowly to check if I missed any spots.

I see if it catches armhair, then I cut paper towel to see how clean that is, and then I run it through a prep and cut a plastic bag (~frozen veg bag) with it slowly to see how clean that is.
The fun with plastic is it pushes an overlooked burr clearly to one side. Impossible not to feel it again.

Fingers, Never really understood nail test. Place edge on nail , then cut and see if it grabs? How much is it suppose to grab? Is it suppose to grab? Place on nail and see if it will slide (scrapping motion) or not slide towards the nail tip? What is either suppose to prove?

Fingers, Never really understood nail test. Place edge on nail , then cut and see if it grabs? How much is it suppose to grab? Is it suppose to grab? Place on nail and see if it will slide (scrapping motion) or not slide towards the nail tip? What is either suppose to prove?

So you DO understand the nail test 😉

Same questions can be applied to finger pad. Is it suppose to grab? How much? Should it bleed? How much? What does bleeding or a slight cut prove?

Its a matter of preference, or a habit. Non is better. We al know by the standard of our own test wich knife is sharp or has a good result

Well gee whiz, since I never cut myself or bled, now I am wondering if I am even understanding the finger test.
(confused) ;)
So you DO understand the nail test 😉

Same questions can be applied to finger pad. Is it suppose to grab? How much? Should it bleed? How much? What does bleeding or a slight cut prove?

Its a matter of preference, or a habit. Non is better. We al know by the standard of our own test wich knife is sharp or has a good result

Well gee whiz, since I never cut myself or bled, now I am wondering if I am even understanding the finger test.
(confused) ;)
Well if it slices and bleeds without feeling it you did it right. Oh wait that is my straight razors. LOL. I don't know if one would want a knife that sharp. Wouldn't hold an edge long.

Back