Gyuto heel height

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
~48mm for a 210
~50MM for a 240

Kiyoshi Kato would disagree....
Because distal taper helps too, 50mm heel height is fine if the front part of the knife is thin like a laser's.

If the Kato is 7mm throughout and only 50mm tall it'll cut like crap.

Seems preference is key and I think some of that has to do with your size and the size of the blade. I am more a cleaver guy so I like the height. I have a 213 x 52 and would say a 210 would need a 50+ for me. Also have a 260 x 61 and around this length a 60+ is ideal for me. I am 6’ with large hands and always feel like the counters are too low so that might be part of what I like about taller blades too.
I don't think there's necessarily a direct relationship between a person's size and blade height preference. I'm about 6'2-6'3 (1,90), my counters aren't particularly tall, and I still prefer lower blade height.

ill say 55 or something else for a actual 240mm gyuto, but if the actual length is 230 or even 225 (YES, SAKAI 😢 ), them 53 would be good for me.

I don't think there's necessarily a direct relationship between a person's size and blade height preference. I'm about 6'2-6'3 (1,90), my counters aren't particularly tall, and I still prefer lower blade height.

yeah. it’s relative to workbench height. a tall knife needs a lower working surface. or high heels.

workbenches are usually too le for me, so yes, when working in someone else’s kitchen i should probably bring a taller knife. but a low working surface pisses me if anyway for other reasons. at home i’ve tweaked everything too my 185cm stature :)

Under 240 length I would not want a gyuto profile. I would go with either a rectangle or a sujihiki. Knuckle clearance is not an issue either way. Rectangles have plenty of clearance. I don't use sujihikis for board work.

At 240-250 I would want nothing taller than 45. I prefer a gyuto-hiki line knife kind of profile at this length with a laserish grind.

At 250-300+ I want enough meat that the knife doesn't feel bendy. But I am pretty open beyond that. Thick grind, thin grind, tall, short, I like to have different arrows in the quiver for different tasks. And I prefer most of my arrows to be 250-300mm long.

A bit surprised about all these wide gyutos. Recently got a 255mm NOS Sukehisa from JNS, and must admit, at the first look it was a bit narrower than I expected. But an extremely comfortable lightweight, to me at least. The discussion made me to measure my favourites: NOS Sab 250 Nogent, the forementioned Sukehisa 255, the 1922 Herder 230, all around 46mm. Vintages I use a lot have got even narrower. Above 52mm only 270s. Is there a tendency to have common 240s wider than they used to be?

Is there a tendency to have common 240s wider than they used to be?
Yeah I’d say with the rise of custom work among western makers there’s going to be an increase in atypical things like super tall blades. Now it’s just becoming the norm for lots of smiths.

Last edited:
I checked my most ground down line knife. It's the absolute minimum height that works for knuckle clearance without having to adjust my grip, 43mm for my large hands and long fingers.

PXL_20240406_123347367.jpg

It is very interesting and somewhat surprising that so many like shorter at the heel knives and yet such knives don’t seem to sell very well on BST. I like around 53 for a 240-245 length but 48-55 works for me for that length. Taller and I might start having to think about which board to use. Lately I’ve gotten a few excellent knives that are 49-52. Knuckle clearance is not a problem even shorter and very much depends on how tall the neck or the handle of the knife is as well as the handle angle to the edge.

It's possible that the people doing the selling and the people with the preference are not in geographic locations. I've seen many interesting things on BST that I'd have happily jumped on if it was sold in Europe.

This is why you should always do a little maintenance thinning of the handle every time you sharpen!View attachment 314076

You jest, but here's Masaharu Morimoto's knives - they're all the same knife, newest to oldest. Oldest is 3 years old. Pretty crazy amount of thinning on the steel for just 3 years, never mind the handle. I guess at some point he swaps over to using his yani as a petty.
morimoto.jpg

What’s the rationale behind sanding away mainly the middle of the handle instead of sanding the entire handle equally overtime as the blade reduces in size?

Personally, I don't equate lower heel height w more skill, just more comfort. If I could handle a big Chinese Cleaver with accuracy and precision, I bet I'd have fun using it

Back