Is it really cheaper to buy whole chicken?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xunzi

Reaction score
I've read here and elsewhere that buying whole chicken saves dollars (or pounds where I live). But is that really true, when comparing supermarket prices, I'm not convinced. The problem, however, is that when you buy a whole chicken that includes additional weight so it's hard to compare on a price per weight basis. I guess it could still be done - I'm actually quite tempted to break down a chicken and weigh the parts, and compare with buying the parts separately. Before I go and undertake this project, I just wonder if this has already been done, or any other thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
It depends... Over here it's most profitable if you want quality meat as the supermarkets utterly rip you off on the better meat, but on the cheap stuff the gap becomes less. Ideally you also turn the carcasses into stock and use the fats so it's not all waste.
That being said, the best bang for your buck here is to just buy whole legs (drum+thigh) and bone those out.

But it can vary a lot per country depending on what meats are popular locally. 10 years ago I never bothered to bone out chicken because the thighs were still dirt cheap because no one had discovered them yet.

I’ve done this exercise and found that it is indeed cheaper or the same price to buy whole and break down if you’re buying good air chiller birds. For commodity chickens I’m less certain. That also excludes that I used the carcass and trimmings to make stock so I basically never buy store bought broth.

There are so many factors at play that only you can make that decision for you. But I suggest you approach it like a chef. First off, you need to figure out what is on the menu. Like, what kinds of chickens pieces do you like to cook? If you only eat boneless skinless chicken breasts then buying whole chickens to get to that product doesn't make sense. Just buy boneless skinless chicken breasts when they are on sale. If you know you like to roast whole birds all of the time and then break them down then whole birds make a lot of sense. But most people's usage patterns probably fall somewhere in between only breasts and only whole birds. And it isn't just the price per pound. There is waste involved. And time is money. And you need to figure out if you really have space in your freezer to store a bunch of carcasses for stock, etc.

I've read here and elsewhere that buying whole chicken saves dollars (or pounds where I live). But is that really true, when comparing supermarket prices, I'm not convinced. The problem, however, is that when you buy a whole chicken that includes additional weight so it's hard to compare on a price per weight basis. I guess it could still be done - I'm actually quite tempted to break down a chicken and weigh the parts, and compare with buying the parts separately. Before I go and undertake this project, I just wonder if this has already been done, or any other thoughts on the matter.
I fight this internal battle regularly. I think I landed on only buying whole chickens when they’re on sale, which makes them dirt cheap, like $6 USD a piece. Otherwise I buy thighs and legs and just debone them. Dislike leftover chicken breast.. the fitness days have ruined it.

As others have said, I save enough on quality chickens to be able to buy quality chickens.

My co-worker and I were going through this exercise today as a matter of fact. I paid ~$11 for a whole, air dried bird. He paid ~$15 for six low-end "bulk" (outlet store) boneless skinless chicken breasts.

His per piece cost would be $2.50. If I consider me getting two breasts, two whole legs, and I'll lump the tenders and wings into one piece for a total of five, then my per piece cost is $2.20 and I got the better quality bird. I also have the carcass if I want to use, I get the choice of how I want to break things down, to include bone-in breasts, and I have the variety. And the birds I buy aren't appreciably smaller.

But, to @stringer's point, my co-worker's wife doesn't like anything but the breasts so it really doesn't make sense for him to buy whole birds. He is however looking at larger cuts of beef and pork and portioning them out.

And lastly, honesuki! 😁

For my household it is most definitely in our best interest to go whole chicken and dismember. @stringer , yet again, brings up an amazing point of considering what is on the menu. Bringing home and butchering a Costco 2 bird pack gives my lady and I the opportunity to plan for multiple different cuts and keeps us thinking of new recipes to make.

The carcass is a great ancillary positive, as i can either fortify store bought broth/stock or pressure cook a stock straight from frozen.

And also lastly, honesuki!

I agree with everyone here... it depends. If I was cooking for more than myself, then I would def get 3-5 chickens at a time, and break them down and roast carcass for 2 hrs at 400 and then make the stock from it.. and save the fat. And, then do with pieces whatever I need to.

But, for me, If i need chicken stock for some specific dish like paella or Bolognese that I make in bulk, I will buy 2 nice chickens and break them down and make stock over 4-6s the proper way... but otherwise, I wait for $1.79sale and buy 4 family style boxes or thighs or legs or quarters and roast them in the oven at 300f for 3+ hrs. Save then fat, and shred them meat. Rinse/repeat. And yes, it's def not an air chilled chicken, but I am also not roasting it whole for presentation/etc...

I agree with everyone here... it depends. If I was cooking for more than myself, then I would def get 3-5 chickens at a time, and break them down and roast carcass for 2 hrs at 400 and then make the stock from it.. and save the fat. And, then do with pieces whatever I need to.

But, for me, If i need chicken stock for some specific dish like paella or Bolognese that I make in bulk, I will buy 2 nice chickens and break them down and make stock over 4-6s the proper way... but otherwise, I wait for $1.79sale and buy 4 family style boxes or thighs or legs or quarters and roast them in the oven at 300f for 3+ hrs. Save then fat, and shred them meat. Rinse/repeat. And yes, it's def not an air chilled chicken, but I am also not roasting it whole for presentation/etc...

For me, the attraction of air chilled chicken goes well beyond the skin presentation. It is so much nicer to handle, not all slimy and it doesn't smell like chlorine or bleach or whatever some of them use. I also personally think they taste better but that could just be in my head.

For me, the attraction of air chilled chicken goes well beyond the skin presentation. It is so much nicer to handle, not all slimy and it doesn't smell like chlorine or bleach or whatever some of them use. I also personally think they taste better but that could just be in my head.
possible.. i put gloves on, land them on foil lined tray, put salt on and 3 hrs+ in oven... i def don't get any of those 'foreign' flavors..

I don’t feel like it’s necessary to wear gloves for well packed air chilled chicken. It’s a joy to handle.

In UK I can get a free range whole chicken for £11-12.
If I bought the same free range chicken cut up the 2 breasts would be £8, the legs £4 - so I feel like I’m getting the wings and carcass for no charge.
I always make stock from the carcass and trim in a slow cooker but feel it’s pretty cost neutral on energy prices vs buying.

The portions that I have taken off the chicken though are mostly much better quality than pre prepared.

Also the freshness is better as the bird has gone through less processing and has been man handled less

I do now spend more on chickens from the butcher as they work with a farm that has some of the best tasting chicken I’ve tasted.

Also buy the book chicken and charcoal and explore chicken butchery

A lot of great points and tips! Especially around the quality of chicken and how it fits into the menu. I’ll definitely try to make chicken stock but I don’t see that being a routine so I that wouldn’t make the difference for me personally.

I always find that over here its cheaper to buy separate pieces rather than a whole chicken. I would only buy a whole chicken when I a intend to cook the whole chicken.
What really susprises me, is that at many grocery stores its cheaper to buy already cooked whole chicken vs uncooked. Sometimes it could be almost half the price for cooked vs uncooked.

A lot of great points and tips! Especially around the quality of chicken and how it fits into the menu. I’ll definitely try to make chicken stock but I don’t see that being a routine so I that wouldn’t make the difference for me personally.
Whole chickens, what's not to like? Take the breasts and legs off, take the wings, save the wing tips and carcass for stock - put it in the freezer until you use it; take of the skin and render it together with the fat, great on ramen, or fry/roast it until crispy, eat it or blend it with butter to put under the breast skin, or again in ramen, or a creamy sauce for your chicken legs made with the carcass stock. The fat from inside the carcass and around the neck, rendered down alone or with herbs, can be kept in the freezer for 3 months or so. Stock and / or soups from the bones.
Finally you get to use some nice knife to do the butchery work and you improve you skills.
What's not to like?

I always find that over here its cheaper to buy separate pieces rather than a whole chicken. I would only buy a whole chicken when I a intend to cook the whole chicken.
What really susprises me, is that at many grocery stores its cheaper to buy already cooked whole chicken vs uncooked. Sometimes it could be almost half the price for cooked vs uncooked.

Not sure if this is true, but I've read/heard that's because they cook the whole chicken close to expiry.

Whole chickens, what's not to like? Take the breasts and legs off, take the wings, save the wing tips and carcass for stock - put it in the freezer until you use it; take of the skin and render it together with the fat, great on ramen, or fry/roast it until crispy, eat it or blend it with butter to put under the breast skin, or again in ramen, or a creamy sauce for your chicken legs made with the carcass stock. The fat from inside the carcass and around the neck, rendered down alone or with herbs, can be kept in the freezer for 3 months or so. Stock and / or soups from the bones.
Finally you get to use some nice knife to do the butchery work and you improve you skills.
What's not to like?

I've started practicing recently on whole chickens and of course I enjoy the process. Just asking myself if it really makes sense :-D

Not sure if this is true, but I've read/heard that's because they cook the whole chicken close to expiry.

Give them a close look, they're typically smaller. Also, I suspect they make up cost disparagements in volume.

I always buy whole chicken for homeuse, not because it is cheaper but i got at least 3 meals out of it. Maybe roasted breasts with Thai wok, Potatoes with Legs and Paella with the wings and some Fish. And for sure a good soup/stock.

A good friend of mine runs a canteen, and even there he buy bunches of whole chicken about 200 at one time. And for his uses this is perfect.

We don`t use chicken at all in the restaurant i am working in, but i have seen michelin stared chicken sauteè in my former jobs, maybe i try it one time again ;) .

Give them a close look, they're typically smaller. Also, I suspect they make up cost disparagements in volume.
I will next time, but they looks normal size for the whole chicken. Im not sure if its the norm everywhere, but whole chickens tend to be smaller compared to separated pieces in the stores near me.

I think it depends on how well you maximize your resources. I’ve been pretty happy with my technique for getting the most out of a whole chicken. I simmer mine in water with just salt and a healthy bit of garlic. Cook until the leg separates when lifted, pull it out, and as soon as I’m able to touch it, separate it out by hand, and pick every last morsel of meat I can out of the carcass. Everything not meat goes back into the water and cooks for 3-5 hours. Once cooled and separated you have a nice amount of fat for the pan and stock for the pot, and you’re left with enough meat to use for at least a few meals. Depending on size of chicken and how many you’re feeding of course. You can even go further and fry up the rendered skin for crispy bits. That’s a lot out of one bird but obviously takes a bit of time and energy, but for me having all that prepped actually saves a lot of time throughout the week. I always seem to have leftover rice on hand and it was so easy to throw some broth, meat, and rice in a pan with some veggies for a super quick but really satisfying meal.

If you don't care about quality, you can buy boneless, skinless breast from quickly reared birds pumped full of water pretty cheap, at least you can around here. But it's an awful product imo. If you go for a slower grown bird without water it makes sense financially to buy whole birds and butcher them. Plus, once you get used to having homemade chicken stock around it becomes a valuable resource.

If you don't care about quality, you can buy boneless, skinless breast from quickly reared birds pumped full of water pretty cheap, at least you can around here. But it's an awful product imo. If you go for a slower grown bird without water it makes sense financially to buy whole birds and butcher them. Plus, once you get used to having homemade chicken stock around it becomes a valuable resource.
The main takeaway from this thread is definitely to start looking into more high-quality chicken! I'll be looking into finding a good butcher. I get good fish and it makes all the difference, and I'm often disappointed with the chicken, so this is an area I'm excited to explore further.

same around here, chicken that bleeds water making it impossible to properly sear...yuck

My issue is that only 2 out of 5 people in the household dare to eat something recognizable...

same around here, chicken that bleeds water making it impossible to properly sear...yuck

My issue is that only 2 out of 5 people in the household dare to eat something recognizable...
On the rare occasion I buy mediocre supermarket chicken I find myself cussing at all that water splatter every single time. I don't know what they do with it but it's just outright ridiculous.

Ohand general bird advice: thighs > breasts.

Depending where you are in uk, creedy carver chickens are good
https://www.creedycarver.co.uk/free-range-chicken/
Won’t be cheap though. Once you spend that much on a chicken you’ll want to get every bit of value from it.

Chicken stock with good chicken carcass is also a long way from what you get from cheap chicken and opens up options like ramen etc that rely on good stock. simplest way for me is to chop the carcass small and barely cover with water in slow cooker on low overnight.

The chicken is needled with water with some stuff a.o. protein (in one investigation pieces of DNA from a pig was found, the manufacturer they filmed was proudly boasting that nobody would be able to identify the process), the meat is rotated in a large drum with needles injecting the 'solution'.

I love the label rouge from France, yet the problem is getting kids to eat after carving up. I'll try carving it up prior to cooking....
I once tried a a real Bresse chicken for a fancy meal but did not found it worth the 'pretty ridiculous' price over the label rouge.

Thigh is wht I mostly use

It's a shame label rouge has gone up so much in price...they were dirt cheap a couple of years ago. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy guineafowl! Which is actually superior in taste anyway... :)

+1 on Label Rouge from France, that's my favorite too.

And when it comes to label rouge, imo duck > guineafowl > yellow > black > white.

Latest posts

Back