Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gratz to those who grabbed Newham’s Magnacut and Apex! I was checking for a cumai and saw how fast they went; I had a feeling it was some forum members.
You’re right. I think the magnacut was a different forum member and I was lucky enough to pick up the apex workhorse. Everything went very quickly. I’ve been wanting to try Will’s work for ages and this one seemed right up my street. Hope to get a stainless mono from him too at some point. If anyone has one of the RWL34 or Nitro-V with sayas he’s done in the past I’m very interested!

You’re right. I think the magnacut was a different forum member and I was lucky enough to pick up the apex workhorse. Everything went very quickly. I’ve been wanting to try Will’s work for ages and this one seemed right up my street. Hope to get a stainless mono from him too at some point. If anyone has one of the RWL34 or Nitro-V with sayas he’s done in the past I’m very interested!
Haha you got my twin. Jealous of the amboyna handle on yours! And I also wish these came with sayas, will's wood work looks so good

I’ll be the odd man out and say I’d probably pull the trigger on that Mazaki if it wasn’t a ktip. Lots of finishing things that I’d prefer we’re done on a 1.2k knife, but at the end of the day I love my standard white 2 of his and you don’t see many (any?) watetsu clad gyuto coming out of Japan.

Haha you got my twin. Jealous of the amboyna handle on yours! And I also wish these came with sayas, will's wood work looks so good
Yeah I wish they did too. Will said they come with pouches so I guess travel with them will still be fine if you want to do that. His sayas look insane though. Fingers crossed the next one I pick up will have a saya. Barely ever see them pop up on BST at all unfortunately though.

Homebutcher has what seems to be a new line. Nakagawa forged Morihiro (maybe hamono ie Nishida) sharpened, wide bevel dama gyutos. I couldn't resist and grabbed this one which seemed to have the most tame handles, but will probably swap something else on it: Nakagawa Blue #1 270mm Gyuto Custom Handle By Pie Cutlery

A few left, and some nice moyjin ground nakagaw damas as well.

Homebutcher has what seems to be a new line. Nakagawa forged Morihiro (maybe hamono ie Nishida) sharpened, wide bevel dama gyutos. I couldn't resist and grabbed this one which seemed to have the most tame handles, but will probably swap something else on it: Nakagawa Blue #1 270mm Gyuto Custom Handle By Pie Cutlery

A few left, and some nice moyjin ground nakagaw damas as well.

You definitely got the best handle of that batch, IMO. Some of those Pie handles with the burls and resin swirls are just too much for me. It's a good fit for some, but I'll happily take my ebony and blonde horn Nakagawa x Myojin for sure. That said, there's a holly and masur birch one at 235mm x 50mm that looks nice.

I’m with everyone saying knifewear’s garage sale is hot garbage.

I’ve suspected for a while that some of the actual rare knives aren’t even there. That they are already sold before it starts- or are just old recycled pictures

/speculation and conjecture
I went today and while I did pick up a cheap sujihiki there were no ridiculous deals or incredibly rare knives, the custom handles were just too much money, they had a turquoise senko from kurosaki they wanted 1140$ for, way too much for a roll forged stainless knife imo

It looks like Eating Tools silently dropped a Kamon cleaver yesterday... Do they do that often? I'm on the newsletter list, subbed to their instagram, there was no mention at all. Am I missing something?

It looks like Eating Tools silently dropped a Kamon cleaver yesterday... Do they do that often? I'm on the newsletter list, subbed to their instagram, there was no mention at all. Am I missing something?
When he posted it on IG he replied to someone “you know where to look, right?” I incorrectly assumed it was going to be in his newsletter.

Harsukokoro blue 1 with 7 mm spine and dramatic distal taper. 56mm tall. Looks super thin behind the edge. And $300 with their 10% discount.

https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...japanese-knife-hatsukokoro.html#/36-size-24cm
Anyone know anything more about this one? 7mm thick at the heel would put even my Mazaki and Toyama gyutos to shame. I'm familiar with Hatsukokoro, but never seen a KU Blue #1 before - certainly not a monster like this? What is it? Who made it? Why? Cool knife regardless!

Also, what's the deal with Miura and a 10% discount? I've heard elsewhere that there's essentially a standing discount there, but I poked around and didn't see anything.

What's funny is I saw that TF last night and shoot Tosho an email asking if they can do a fine finish on it and covert it to wa handle by cutting/trimming the tang but leaving a machi. It would be a perfect knife if it's converted to wa with machi (wider neck) and get a fine finish I think. Now it's sold out even before I hear back from Tosho. Unlucky me! Whoever got it consider this project idea plz.
One back in stock Morihei Hisamoto Kurouchi White #1 Gyuto 240mm Pakka Handle (No Bolster)

Anyone know anything more about this one? 7mm thick at the heel would put even my Mazaki and Toyama gyutos to shame. I'm familiar with Hatsukokoro, but never seen a KU Blue #1 before - certainly not a monster like this? What is it? Who made it? Why? Cool knife regardless!

Also, what's the deal with Miura and a 10% discount? I've heard elsewhere that there's essentially a standing discount there, but I poked around and didn't see anything.
You get the 10% discount as a first time subscriber. And every time you buy something, they put another card with a 10% discount code on it. And they occasionally have sales event.
1C8F23B8-7454-420B-A27F-21DE6C0F3615.jpeg

Love it! Someone snatch those up, especially the fully reactive carbons, but the Migaki isn't in the drop. Sad.
Noticed these newer Migaki restocks. I have my eyes on the 210mm gyuto. Looks a tad beefier perhaps (in a good way) than maybe previous batches.
Curious if anyone has used the newest Kochi migaki gyutos here?

Noticed these newer Migaki restocks. I have my eyes on the 210mm gyuto. Looks a tad beefier perhaps (in a good way) than maybe previous batches.
Curious if anyone has used the newest Kochi migaki gyutos here?
I picked up a 240 migaki. I friggin' love it.

I had one a few years ago, too, that I gave to a friend. This latest batch is almost identical in terms of heft. My new one is like 52mm x 240mm and 205 grams. They're totally different than the KU versions (the migaki is convex, not concave/wide bevel like the KU).

You definitely wouldn't regret it if you picked one up.

Latest posts

Back