Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tosho did say the un-numbered is fatter than his current production. But still, unless the steel is really magical, I can't justify the 4 figures on his knives. The calligraphy is really underwhelming at best.

Can someone educate this noob as to why Jiro is getting such hype? I played with a non numbered Jiro at Tosho knife, wasn't really that blown away by the performance.
i tested his knives and they are just as good as any of the top makers western or japanese. Not sure what you expect from a knife but most of them just cut. Also a knife is as good as the skills of the chef using it. In terms of build quality they come as good as it gets.

i tested his knives and they are just as good as any of the top makers western or japanese. Not sure what you expect from a knife but most of them just cut. Also a knife is as good as the skills of the chef using it. In terms of build quality they come as good as it gets.
They performance wasn't bad, but just didn't wow me at all. I don't think it cuts that much better than a Wakui to justify the 3x price tag?Maybe I'm still too new to this hobby, but Jiro doesn't have any fancy cladding/pattern. The often highly praised calligraphy really is nothing of too high quality either (I do quite a bit of Kanji calligraphy myself, so I don't think it's a very far off comment).

They performance wasn't bad, but just didn't wow me at all. I don't think it cuts that much better than a Wakui to justify the 3x price tag?Maybe I'm still too new to this hobby, but Jiro doesn't have any fancy cladding/pattern. The often highly praised calligraphy really is nothing of too high quality either (I do quite a bit of Kanji calligraphy myself, so I don't think it's a very far off comment).
Don't think there's an exponential line where price and performance go together. At 300-400 euros you can get some of the best performers out there, above that there are other factors: materials, rarity, innovation, wabi Sabi (😅) and so on...and imho there are a lot of over rated and over hyped blades, and as well overpriced knives for what you get.

Can someone educate this noob as to why Jiro is getting such hype? I played with a non numbered Jiro at Tosho knife, wasn't really that blown away by the performance.
Here's a passaround that was done earlier on. This is just one knife and earlier in the maker's career, so current offerings might be different. Also consider that the western version is more unique as compared to other Japanese knives and is more unique in general even though I personally don't like it after testing one. For me the western handle is too heavy and messes with the balance, but the knife is more unique than the WA versions and the balance is very personal. The knives I've tried were good knives if they were in the $650 range. I felt that this was a knife that was designed by a comity, "Let's see what sells and what people like and make a knife that checks the boxes...". White 1 steel, Toyamish profile, iron cladding, better fit and finish, more tapper and thick at heel/pinch grip, add one man operation, calligraphy, very limited numbered production and premium price.... It seemed to work. Once again not a bad knife, just not for me at the price.

The most recent Jiros apparently perform incredibly. I think the earlier ones were all hype. That’s at least what I’ve gathered. I’m sure the rarity helps drive the demand too. Collectors like collecting unobtainable stuff.
I've seen these claims too, but not a review from anyone I would consider an expert, just people stating that is what they've heard. Would love to see someone knowledgeable review one of the recent ones. Given the history of marketing of this particular brand of knives I tend to take any claims of amazing performance with a grain of salt.

Exactly. Jiro owners are very quiet when it comes to positive feedback and a decent review. Are Jiros just sitting in there boxes all day long?

Exactly. Jiro owners are very quiet when it comes to positive feedback and a decent review. Are Jiros just sitting in there boxes all day long?
A lot of them yes. I feel like there are a few people who own a ridiculous number of them. It's also not a surprise you won't find many owners here though based on the negative feedback here.

I got a recent 225 yo in person, and I’m very impressed and happy. Extremely thin bte which is impressive given how thick the spine is at the handle. Tapers down to a very thin tip. Stone finished and ready. I like how it looks. With tax, about $800 usd which I think is competitive with other one man shops. Overall I think this recent one lives up to the hype.

A suji would be cool… but I think I’ll pass for now. Maybe if another comes up locally.

Nakagawa-saku - Nakamura Knives

Not sure how new these are, but don't these look rather good? The Bokashi finish knives are particularly easy on the eye. Anyone tried one?

I've been eyeing them for a couple of weeks now. I'd agree the finish looks nice. Just spent some money so got to wait a while before I'd try.

I got one from the recent Karasu drop with the full intention to use it.

I shall be happy to put it to good use and report back 🫡

(Before flogging it on BST for like 2k if I don’t like it)

Last edited:
Back