Monosteel western handle Gyuto discussion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol maybe there should be a western handle monosteel Japanese gyuto thread for old stock stuff like this haha.
Oh yes +1!

Jumi carries SK Sukehisa’s, this link was shared in the (great) thread for Japanese more obscure stuff. I don’t think they ship outside JP but prices are pretty good. I guess this is old stock as well, most have wood handles. I’m thinking about a 270 gyuto / 270 suji / 150 petty kit…

http://www.jumi.co.jp/shop/houtyou/maker/sukehisa.html

Last edited:
One more candidate, Togiharu VC, one search in the forum didn’t show much results, tho people who had it seems to be happy with it.
https://www.korin.com/HTO-HCGY-240?...2%7D&custcol_sca_line_id=mainItem%3Af12tydg5w
After some comparison I’m 90% sure this is a Masamoto HC gyuto, same weight, height and handle length, tho the price is much better so a great deal
https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/masamoto-hc-series/products/carbon-steel-knife-masamoto

@panda has used them both. I might reach out to him and see what he says
I would be very interested about recent experiences with a Masamoto HC. The latest I found was from 2014 and was disappointing, to say the least. Review aus fünf Blickwinkeln: Masamoto HC Gyuto
The knife required a heavy thinning behind the edge, if not a full regrind.
P1060784.jpg

A real shame, as Masamoto used to deliver great yo-knives with very well treated steel and an excellent grinding. But I'm speaking about long, long ago. Thirty years or so. My own HC — with ebony handle — is of that generation, if not before.
Now, about @blokey 's post on Togihari, I find it hard to believe Korin would sell a project knife as a home brand. Always hard to find out how the Seki production has been organised — if it matters.

😱 Is that an ootb choil shot??? I think @panda was loving his from around the 2018ish era.

I haven’t used an HC since 2011, remember liking it more than Misono 440 but less than my Mac Pro. Might just wait for a good looking vintage one to pop up somewhere

Last edited:
😱 Is that an ootb choil shot??? The think @panda was loving his from around the 2018ish era.

I haven’t used an HC since 2011, remember liking it more than Misono 440 but less than my Mac Pro. Might just wait for a good looking vintage one to pop up somewhere
Indeed an ootb choil shot. Those messerforum guys were serious about it.

Last edited:
Anyone tried Naozumi Nihonkou knives? From the photos, the spine looks a bit thicker than other monosteel blades and it has that chiseled grind, but the extra thickness could be a good template to grind in some convexity on the stones.

https://bernalcutlery.com/collections/naozumi/products/naozumi-nihonkou-240mm-gyuto

I have a 210 of these and is quite thin actually. Cuts well but is pretty sticky.

Handle finish was superb. Mine had red buffing compound residue on it when I took it outta box. So not sure if the factory does that or Bernal does in house.

I have a 210 of these and is quite thin actually. Cuts well but is pretty sticky.

Handle finish was superb. Mine had red buffing compound residue on it when I took it outta box. So not sure if the factory does that or Bernal does in house.
Yeah stickiness is an issue I’ve found with some of these blades. I’m playing with my Masakane now (thinning/convexing/polishing) to see if I can improve that.

Yeah stickiness is an issue I’ve found with some of these blades. I’m playing with my Masakane now (thinning/convexing/polishing) to see if I can improve that.

I would be interested to see a 240, but there is not much room for any convexing on the 210 until I lose some height. It’s a generous 47mm tall though.

Don't know the knife, but even with thin ones moving the edge a bit to the left may change a lot about food release — supposing you're a right-hander, of course.

Last edited:
Probably SKD. Likely quite similar to Kanehide Bessaku (potentially one is simply a rebrand of the other).
They also have them in an extra tall version (komagiri I think).

One of the knives arrived, Tsukiji Masamoto 200mm Wide Knife (not sure how to translate it…),Takefu V1 steel, 62-63 hrc according to MTC. The grind is really good, asymmetrical convex grind with an acute edge, while doesn’t look as thin as Ginga in the choil but the edge is actually nail flexing. Some easing at the shoulder might make it even cuts better but at the sacrifice of some food release.
IMG_5706.jpeg
IMG_5707.jpeg
IMG_5708.jpeg

Appearantly Aritsugu S alloy is Gokinko steel according to an old member who went to the store and asked
I got 2 knifes from the S line on Aritsugu Tokyo, which are stores named the same, but carrying different lines. My knifes are western handle gyuto and petty. They say the steel on the S line is Gokinko (golden alloy).

The finish on my knifes is good to excelent, the steel can get very very sharp for quite some time, this is a reactive blade.

Id say Aritsugu Kyoto or Tokyo are great buys as they have a great history. I recommend Tokyo, because the prices are fair, much better than masamoto.
So that would make it the same steel as the old Type A gyuto, interesting…
http://aritsugu.jp/category/item/洋包丁牛刀・鋼/http://zknives.com/knives/steels/gokinko.shtml

One of the knives arrived, Tsukiji Masamoto 200mm Wide Knife (not sure how to translate it…),Takefu V1 steel, 62-63 hrc according to MTC. The grind is really good, asymmetrical convex grind with an acute edge, while doesn’t look as thin as Ginga in the choil but the edge is actually nail flexing. Some easing at the shoulder might make it even cuts better but at the sacrifice of some food release.
View attachment 260951View attachment 260950View attachment 260949
Looks great! Let us know how the steel performs compared to the typical SK stuff.

Nice. That choil shot looks good, much less chamfered at the edge than some other monosteels around. Let us know how it performs once you get to use it.
Looks great! Let us know how the steel performs compared to the typical SK stuff.
Will do, just had some surgery and will need to lay down for another 3 weeks

Back