Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great setup, used quite a bit in the Netherlands for growing other herbal medicines.
I don't think I'd try growing weed with this. The lighting is inadequate for that. But it does a fine job for herbs and the like :)

I should consider something like that. Everytime I try herbs in flower pots they just die in 1-2 months. :(
It's pretty much foolproof, but not entirely maintenance-free. You have to change the hydroponic solution every 4-6 weeks and clean out the container because you end up with sludge and tons of roots in there. The pump has a filter that also needs cleaning. Not a big deal, it's done and dusted in a few minutes. The nutrients are cheap, especially if you don't buy them from iDOO—you should be able to find nutrient solution at a fraction of the price at any decent garden center. Once you have the setup, growing your own herbs has almost zero cost. Power consumption of the kit is 21 W, which is very affordable, and seeds are dirt-cheap.

For me, in a subtropical climate, almost anything will grow just fine, provided I don't let the possums get to it first ;) Dill and Coriander are the problem. Even in winter, they tend to bolt in no time at all. It's just too warm here most of the time for those herbs. I got sick of buying already-tired herbs at the supermarket that, within 24 hours, turn into a sorry wilted and inedible mess, so this was a good option.

At any rate, I can recommend this kind of setup for herbs. You can grow pretty much anything that way (in small quantities). And it's a fun thing to do. There are plenty of alternatives to iDOO (some of them no better and a lot more expensive). You can nerd out on YouTube to find out what's available, for example, in this channel.

I can inform that the vast majority of 'growers' in the Netherlands use LED these days
1699901754346.png

On the positive side, that is one item where you really are guaranteed that the maker is retired...

You folks, as always, gave some great ideas in my spatula request thread and I really want that Micarta-handled one, but the wife wanted to get a simpler one for right now to see how she likes using one.

I'm also mildly infatuated with spoons lately. 🤪

20231130_161314.jpg

The square one is bigger than I thought but pretty cool.

New granite mortar:

1702246665139.jpeg

For comparison, this shows the ceramic mortar I've used for many years (and never liked):

1702246796395.jpeg

The problem with the old one is that it is too small and too smooth. Instead of grabbing onto seeds and other ingredients for grinding, the stuff just slides around, making it really hard to properly grind things such as coriander seed.

But the most serious problem with the small one is weight. The ceramic one weighs just under 1 kg (2.2 lb), whereas the new one weighs 4.3 kg (9.5 lb). This makes a world of difference because the mortar stays put while I'm working without me having to hold onto it.

Moreover, the beefier granite pestle makes it easier to grind things because its weight supplies a lot of the force needed to crush seeds, and because it is thicker and fits much better into my hand. In contrast, the small ceramic pestle is much smaller and lighter and forces me to hold onto it really tight, causing the muscles in my hand to get tired or cramp quite quickly. The glazed slippery surface on that pestle is an ergonomic disaster because, no matter how hard I grip, my hand will inevitably start to slide down. (And forget about doing anything with even slightly moist hands.)

Morals:
  • Get a heavy mortar.
  • Get one with a pronounced inside surface texture, so stuff doesn't slide around.
  • Make sure the pestle has a decent amount of weight and has some surface texture that is not too slippery, otherwise you'll be working much harder than necessary.

New utensils from Dreamfarm:

1702247644470.jpeg

I'm quite impressed with the spatula. I flexes a lot when used normally, so it's easy to bend it to get under things near the rim of a pan. Yet, once it is back in its normal position, it is stiff and doesn't bend any further, so I can lift quite heavy things with it without any problems. The asymmetric shape also makes it do double duty to chop/separate things with the left-hand side. Useful when browning ground meat that needs to be broken up.

The Supoon is an interesting design. It doubles up as a spoon, measuring spoon with teaspoon and tablespoon markings, and as a spatula. The handle is heavy enough that, when I measure a tablespoon of something, the whole thing doesn't tip over. Turned over, it makes for a good spatula that is quite hard and stiff, so I can properly scrape things off the bottom of a pan.

The tongs are pretty much ordinary silicone-covered tongs, but with a twist: the button at the end of the handle works like the push button on a biro, so you click it once to open the tongs, and click again to keep them closed.

The "sit-up" design of all three works really well. I don't keep messing up my cutting board or stove top each time I put something down and don't have to use a spoon rest.

For comparison, some of my other, similar tools:

1702248174754.jpeg

Three Di Oro tools, which I like a lot and still use, a pair of Oxo tongs (which work fine, but are not as convenient to close because that requires two hands), and the Dreamfarm tongs, with the sit-up feature, which is great.

New granite mortar:

View attachment 287135

For comparison, this shows the ceramic mortar I've used for many years (and never liked):

View attachment 287136

The problem with the old one is that it is too small and too smooth. Instead of grabbing onto seeds and other ingredients for grinding, the stuff just slides around, making it really hard to properly grind things such as coriander seed.

But the most serious problem with the small one is weight. The ceramic one weighs just under 1 kg (2.2 lb), whereas the new one weighs 4.3 kg (9.5 lb). This makes a world of difference because the mortar stays put while I'm working without me having to hold onto it.

Moreover, the beefier granite pestle makes it easier to grind things because its weight supplies a lot of the force needed to crush seeds, and because it is thicker and fits much better into my hand. In contrast, the small ceramic pestle is much smaller and lighter and forces me to hold onto it really tight, causing the muscles in my hand to get tired or cramp quite quickly. The glazed slippery surface on that pestle is an ergonomic disaster because, no matter how hard I grip, my hand will inevitably start to slide down. (And forget about doing anything with even slightly moist hands.)

Morals:
  • Get a heavy mortar.
  • Get one with a pronounced inside surface texture, so stuff doesn't slide around.
  • Make sure the pestle has a decent amount of weight and has some surface texture that is not too slippery, otherwise you'll be working much harder than necessary.
Did you get a pre seasoned one? I had an unseasoned granite mortar before and the amount of time and effort to season it and get rid of the granite dust by product was far too much effort and so I still use my two ceramic ones instead

Did you get a pre seasoned one? I had an unseasoned granite mortar before and the amount of time and effort to season it and get rid of the granite dust by product was far too much effort and so I still use my two ceramic ones instead
I just gave it a good wash after I got it. Very little (if any) dust came out, so it's been fine.

I just gave it a good wash after I got it. Very little (if any) dust came out, so it's been fine.
Michi, two hacks:

First, I like to put mine on a silicone pot holder, makes the pounding more pleasant. I bet a towel is just as good but harder to clean

Second, if you can find one think about picking up a wooden pestle. I think they’re far superior for herb based sauces like pesto (hence the name) salsa verde, chimichuri, etc. If I didn’t already have one I’d have sized up to the size of the stone one. We can get them on Amazon here for cheap

Get pounding

Ps, I usually grind a little salt and rice, see how it looks. It’s only stone dust. If you took five grams to your grave, that wouldn’t be what killed you
image.jpg

Last edited:
Why, do you think?
They rip rather than smash the herbs. You use them differently. The wooden pestle is used in a more circular motion, granite pounds.

Here’s what I used as my bible when deciding

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-mortars-and-pestles
Cmon down to Brooklyn any time, you can rain holy hell down on as much parsley as you want, I’ll happily make some salmon and potatoes to eat with it!

Btw, ashy was selling a mizuno ks clone with some real kkf street cred, you made an impassioned plea for someone to buy it, I’m the one who did.

Still can’t chop an onion behind my back but it’s a great knife

Last edited:
Not new, but germane to this digression. Here’s my Italian style mortar along with the wooden pestle. This one holds about half a liter, the marble is even rougher than the granite, rips the herbs up quite nicely and it has those four adorable little ears for you to hold onto while you work (the granite one is so heavy it is not going anywhere). Waaay more power in the granite one for sure

image.jpg

Christmas present from my family. A beautiful 28cm saute pan from Staub in my favorite color.
View attachment 107620View attachment 107621
Just out of curiosity since I have the same one... what do you use it for?
I mostly ended up using it for rice dishes like risotto and the occasional small stew or oven dish, but I'm wondering if there's any other things I should be using it for?

Back