Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received a custom order from Kama Asa:

Tanaka x Myojin
Blue 1
255mm (240 x 55mm)
4mm thick above the heel
247g

P_20230731_164452.jpg

P_20230731_164547.jpg

Seems pretty awesome, looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Those persimmon handles are on another level. I have also found myself wishing they sold them by themselves as well. That would look perfect in the suiboku nakagawa dammy
Yes I agree. My ace of my knife rotation is my Nakagawa Blue 2 Suiboku and has the Zebrawood handle. It’s perfect for the Suiboku balance wise.

I’m very tempted to put it on the dammy as well, but am nervous about damaging the beautiful handle that’s already on it

Michael makes a good looking knife is really nice to deal with.
Yes, he is a kind soul and so easy to work with. The knife indeed looks totally flawless. Very forward balanced and falls through food.

Would have loved to pick it up personaly but ~Birmingham is not near any of our future trips to the UK unfortunately.
Many many thanks for bringing him to my attention HHC!

So about eddworks… handle fit and finish is immaculate, don’t know if I’ve felt a smoother handle. Can’t even slightly feel the pins, perfectly flush. Amazingly comfortable with the balance point just at the start of the makers mark. Well rounded spine and choil. Thick out of the handle then the blade disappears at the tip. Grind appears a bit asymmetrical but I have no qualms with it. Last but not least it looks stunning, be on the lookout for this guy. I have no doubts it’ll be a performer.

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

IMG_0680.jpeg

IMG_0678.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0681.jpeg

My lady is nostalgic for her dad’s kitchen tools so I had to pick one of these up for the house. Her dad’s family is from a small town on the big island of Hawaii called Hilo and her dad still has a few decent Chinese cleavers. Love this size for an everyday home knife. Also immediately toasted and oiled the handle for a bit more grip.
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2117.jpeg
IMG_2118.jpeg
IMG_2128.jpeg
IMG_2129.jpeg
IMG_2136.jpeg
IMG_2132.jpeg

My lady is nostalgic for her dad’s kitchen tools so I had to pick one of these up for the house. Her dad’s family is from a small town on the big island of Hawaii called Hilo and her dad still has a few decent Chinese cleavers. Love this size for an everyday home knife. Also immediately toasted and oiled the handle for a bit more grip. View attachment 259019View attachment 259020View attachment 259021View attachment 259022View attachment 259023View attachment 259024View attachment 259025
I love Hilo! I'm heading there next month for vacation actually. That's also where blacksmith Neil Kamimura's (who isn't really talked about on this forum, I'm guessing b/c his knives are so hard to get) shop is at.

I love Hilo! I'm heading there next month for vacation actually. That's also where blacksmith Neil Kamimura's (who isn't really talked about on this forum, I'm guessing b/c his knives are so hard to get) shop is at.
Yeah, I remember when we found that out we both had a good laugh. I’ve held one of his knives actually at a local knife shop and it was in for a sharpening. Very distinct feel. Larger than life in hand. It really feels like a fantasy fiction dagger or something. His typical profile is definitely too curvy for me, but I definitrly want to atleast use one just because of the funny reference back to Hilo.

So about eddworks… handle fit and finish is immaculate, don’t know if I’ve felt a smoother handle. Can’t even slightly feel the pins, perfectly flush. Amazingly comfortable with the balance point just at the start of the makers mark. Well rounded spine and choil. Thick out of the handle then the blade disappears at the tip. Grind appears a bit asymmetrical but I have no qualms with it. Last but not least it looks stunning, be on the lookout for this guy. I have no doubts it’ll be a performer.

View attachment 259004

View attachment 259005

View attachment 259006

View attachment 259007

View attachment 259008

View attachment 259009
wow, that rounding and polishing is ridiculous. Looks really comfy to use.

I guess this is going to stir up some controversy 😋

When I saw this knife online I though that it looked weird and though the design was more of a gimmick. But I had a chance to actually check the knife out in person and decided to buy it. Not only the fit and finish is insane (that crazy bolster is one piece and so is the hanle, plus it is a hidden tang, but also the weight distribution (the handle is not heavy) and the grind (gentle convex and nice distal taper) made sense. I so I had to have it. Have used it only a couple of times so far - I am really liking it.

Attachments

• EE37461C-E13F-43C6-9D73-5E913557BAC1.jpeg
    EE37461C-E13F-43C6-9D73-5E913557BAC1.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 0
  • EB7CB216-E29A-4C55-A03D-20BD2411B981.jpeg
    EB7CB216-E29A-4C55-A03D-20BD2411B981.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0D923856-68AE-45FF-A470-E07D5AD45439.jpeg
    0D923856-68AE-45FF-A470-E07D5AD45439.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 670911D5-EEC9-4803-805C-1B61F99281E4.jpeg
    670911D5-EEC9-4803-805C-1B61F99281E4.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I guess this is going to stir some controversy 😋

When I saw this knife online I though that it looked weird and though the design was more of a gimmick. But I had a chance to actually check the knife out in person and decided to buy it. Not only the fit and finish is insane (that crazy bolster is one piece and so is the hanle, plus it is a hidden tang, but also the weight distribution (the handle is not heavy) and the grind (gentle convex and nice distal taper) made sense. I so I had to have it. Have used it only a couple of times so far - I am really liking it.
No controversy needed. If it works, it works. Someone might not like it visually or whatever, but can't really argue with performance without trying. Even visually pictures don't always fully represent a 3d object. I've had knives that looked very good in person, but wouldn't photograph well at all.

Simon Maillet 225mm Gyuto. I'm going to call this one Goldilocks because it's just right. For me, 240mm is too long, 210mm can feel a bit short, so 225mm is just right. The 54mm heel height is tall without being too tall. Beefy spine at the heel, tapers quickly, and thin, but not too thin behind the edge. The handle shape is unique with a pronounced rectangular cross section that fills the hand without feeling chunky.

1X0A1668.JPG

1X0A1666.JPG
1X0A1667.JPG

1X0A1664.JPG

Simon Maillet 225mm Gyuto. I'm going to call this one Goldilocks because it's just right. For me, 240mm is too long, 210mm can feel a bit short, so 225mm is just right. The 54mm heel height is tall without being too tall. Beefy spine at the heel, tapers quickly, and thin, but not too thin behind the edge. The handle shape is unique with a pronounced rectangular cross section that fills the hand without feeling chunky.

View attachment 259209
View attachment 259208View attachment 259210

View attachment 259211
That looks great, what is the core steel?

Just received a custom order from Kama Asa:

Tanaka x Myojin
Blue 1
255mm (240 x 55mm)
4mm thick above the heel
247g

View attachment 258947

View attachment 258948

Seems pretty awesome, looking forward to putting it through its paces.
Haven’t felt envy like this in a while. Absolutely sweeeeeet Y Tanaka. That weight and thickness out of the handle is incredible

I guess this is going to stir up some controversy 😋

Mazaki is really switching up the profile with his latest batch?

View attachment 259004

View attachment 259005

View attachment 259006

View attachment 259007

View attachment 259008

View attachment 259009
Crazy to see all the love he’s gotten so quickly. Great guy & great maker. Happy to get some work from him early

This one deserves better photos than a couple of my crappy quick snaps, but posting nonetheless. Nickel and iron clad suminagashi core of blue 2 / spicy white / 15n20 from HVB. 180mm, 51mm heel, 171g.

Can’t wait to give this little fella a proper whirl.

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

Back