Smoking Food (Meat)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past weekend I competed in my first bbq competition. The only sad part was having to cut with strictly stainless knives because I didn't have the time to maintain a carbon slicer or butcher knife.

PXL_20220924_185032543.jpg

IMG_8880.jpg

PXL_20220924_191016949.jpg

Most of the slicers that I've seen are serrated SST. I have an F. Dick slicer that is 12" long (careful here) with the kullenschiffe blade. Was my go-to-blade for slicing abalone. That and a 12" DuoSharp Diamond bench stone worked well.

That food looks just great..
I bet you know about BBQ Summer Camp at Texas A&M..
Luckily, I drew a ticket for the event in June.. Took me 5 years to get a ticket as it is a lottery...
One of the best continuing ed courses I ever took.. People from all over the world were there.

Thank you! Partly a Northern California oddity, this is actually tri-tip, a cut from the bottom sirloin.

The knife I used here to slice up the tri-tip was a 12" scalloped Dexter-Russell, and worked pretty well!
Yea, that meat does not look like Texas brisket. It might be a nicer cut of meat than brisket looking at the meat grain.

My brother is in the hospital, (gonna be OK), so I cooked a chicken for my SIL so she wouldn't have to cook. I took the chicken and some sides to their house yesterday. I decided that I should also cook one for us as long as I had the grill fired up.View attachment 200980
The smell of roast chicken always brings a bit of comfort.

Good thread that I have missed along the way. I am diving deep into smoking this past year or so. I'm making a bunch of mistakes but enjoying the journey

It is smoking time again. I did ribs for the kids and a Rick Bayless Charcoal Grilled Pork Loin with Rich Red Chile sauce recipe except I smoked the pork loin. I missed the picture of the sauce. I probably started drinking. I used dried ancho chiles. It turn out real nice. I then made left over tacos. And I saved the bone for making beans later.

IMG_1259.jpg

Good thread. I’ve been working remotely for the last month, access to a backyard and my parent’s $15 grill begged for smoking meats. Combo of hickory and applewood suited my fancy; Thermoworks thermometer kept things in check; depending on instinct, temp, feel, was essential when working on this cheap grill. Man, love the smell of the smoke—a better grill/smoker would be welcome, but I’ll happily smoke with anything handy.
2B942C71-7840-4B08-A21C-E18B50863DFA.jpeg

6E3DF796-82AD-43AA-B557-C86B24FF0055.jpeg

39616DBC-3EA3-4256-B728-71E5E2665BC0.jpeg

1D31C80A-6FC2-4321-96C3-8AE250804FF8.jpeg

6B39D0DB-7C1A-446C-BDE2-F98F95DF3EA9.jpeg

2FB9D3D4-4239-497E-923A-1FDD5BFF32E4.jpeg

Attachments

• 21973960-CE71-42AE-9063-E3B38FCFD0A9.jpeg
    21973960-CE71-42AE-9063-E3B38FCFD0A9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Spring exploded here and in response my local grocer had a killer sale on chicken. I normal don't buy pre-cut pieces but sixteen drumsticks for a touch over five bucks was irresistible!

Dry-brined them overnight and tossed 'em on the smoker with apple wood.

Homemade adobo BBQ and Buffalo dipping sauces were an awesome pairing.

Gave a few to the neighbors before the pic. :)

52857367324_e597911efa_o.jpg

Have any of y'all used the Meater probes? My Weber igrill is about due for an upgrade, I've been happy enough but the Bluetooth range is astoundingly bad. Wasn't sure if Meater was just hyped from the Instagram smoker bro influencers or actually a decent product.

Have any of y'all used the Meater probes? My Weber igrill is about due for an upgrade, I've been happy enough but the Bluetooth range is astoundingly bad. Wasn't sure if Meater was just hyped from the Instagram smoker bro influencers or actually a decent product.

When I was looking t them I was turned off by how large in diameter they are.

That crossed my mind as well. I'm leaning towards the vetted Thermoworks but the fully wireless aspect definitely has some appeal, though worse from an environmental/e-waste standpoint
MeatStick is an alternative. Those are fully waterproof. You can even put them into the dishwasher. I was considering one of those for sous vide, when I’d like to know when the core temperature is reached. Haven’t bought one, also because of thickness.

Last edited:
I won’t buy anything that is dependent entirely on Bluetooth or some sort of wireless technology. The standards change too often, unless you expect your thermometer to have a very short life span.

I have a Thermo works Smoke probe thermometer, which has a wireless option, but it also can be used with its wired base station. It is much more accurate than any other probe thermometer I’ve owned.

The Predictive Thermometer has more tech than anything else on the market, but pricy. The guy has a very interesting YouTube as well.

https://combustion.inc/

Brisket prepped in the morning, smoked hot and fast, and ready for dinner. Don't think I'll ever go back to low and slow, having to either go overnight or get up at the a**crack of dawn.

brisket1.jpg
brisket2.jpg

Back