Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saji, like Mr Itou, is kinda all over the place aesthethically. Some of it actually looks good IMO, some of it looks like it got an intense beating with the ugly stick. No clue how they perform, but I think when it comes to looks this is all very much personal preference. Some of the stuff I consider hideous actually sold, so someone must be digging it somewhere.

Question for y'all toilet tank users: do you have giant 'american standard' size tanks, or low-flow? The eco model in my apartment struggles enough already, and I imagine displacing that much water would make it unflushable in certain situations

1628132041644.png

these opinions are not unpopular enough let me try

anyway, a good portion of the advice on this forum are by people on the top left half of this graph (in retrospect, sometimes myself included) that haven't spent enough time on stones, in kitchens, and trying knives to have valuable opinions

on the other hand you have people on the right that gatekeep unnecessarily

View attachment 136748

anyway, a good portion of the advice on this forum are by people on the top left half of this graph (in retrospect, sometimes myself included) that haven't spent enough time on stones, in kitchens, and trying knives to have valuable opinions

The people on the right side of the curve don't spend their time giving advice on internet forums. You get what you pay for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯... at the current sample size of two, your opinion is 100% popular. Please try again :)

How about my opinion, the reverse of the old Bill Murray maxim: I'm suspicious of people who don't like cats, but I trust a cat when it doesn't like a person. Dogs can't be trusted, they can be loyal to literal serial killers.

View attachment 136748

8J0SpMZ.png

The people on the right side of the curve don't spend their time giving advice on internet forums. You get what you pay for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯... at the current sample size of two, your opinion is 100% popular. Please try again :)

This part definitely fits with this thread. To say that experts don't share their opinions on internet freely is both unpopular and totally incorrect. Good job.

Question for y'all toilet tank users: do you have giant 'american standard' size tanks, or low-flow? The eco model in my apartment struggles enough already, and I imagine displacing that much water would make it unflushable in certain situations
Regular low flow. And only one stone. I imagine two or more stones and I'll run into trouble.

There's extra space in the bowl
😈
There is indeed. Cunningly, if you get some of that blue-coloured lacquer, repurpose a plastic thing into a rim-hanger and hey presto you’ve disguised your whetstone as one of those newfangled Japanese toilet block cleaning devices. It’s oversized admittedly, but it doesn’t have any of that cheapo bleach smell - the latest Japanese ionic cleaning technologies odourlessly descale and clean the water, allegedly

I‘m not sure even Stringer could pull off that wheeze tbh…

View attachment 136748

I think I recently got past the sharp corner, and am maybe 1/3 of the way down the hill into the trough. Hard to judge one’s own competence, but assuming linear progress over time, the confidence curve seems completely accurate so far.

203B7047-E28B-476B-8EC9-1870BEFDA969.jpeg

"Soooo cool!!" 🙄🤢 There's just no accounting for taste. But those of us with good taste should know better than to piss into another man's wheaties. Or at least know the proper place to share our curmudgeonly opinions.

View attachment 138379
"Soooo cool!!" 🙄🤢 There's just no accounting for taste. But those of us with good taste should know better than to piss into another man's wheaties. Or at least know the proper place to share our curmudgeonly opinions.
That handle looks unsanitary.

The trick is doubling up on morning coffee, cigarette on really rough days.

here's one though I dont know how unpopular it will be:

IMO it's much preferable to not be engaged in the buying and selling of any items that are too hot; e.g. Katos, Konosukes, Jiros, etc. I far prefer to buy and sell to/from folks I recognize and who I think understand what the deal with knives is wrt expectations. i.e. Im not a retailer and I dont like dealing with retail customers too much.

Latest posts

Back