Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Processed cheese is the correct cheese for a burger - should melt and be runny and gooey but not greasy. If you think you’re better than Kraft take some fancy cheeses, add some funny powders, and make your own cheese-food. It’s worth it. Forget selling salads, I should get into the burger business. Cause I have opinions…

Pepe's used to be one of our favorite haunts but I guess Wooster St. has changed.

Admittedly, I've only passed through New Haven, don't know the city. Pepe's and Sally's are the names that typically come up when I've heard people talk about NH style apizza. There's a Pepe's in Yonkers, NY, but haven't been to it.

I've never been to a pizza place more that had been open for more than 10 years that I'd actually consider good. Bad pizza can still be tasty, but genuinely good pizza is few and far between. All Detroit / deep-dish stuff is trash - an intrisnically flawed food product. The square cut on a tavern style pizza doesn't make sense (though I enjoy a good thin crust cheese tavern style pizza - Dominos* makes a good one). Anyone who doesn't salt their dough is moronic. Overcheesing is absolutely a sin. More than 5 total toppings including the sauce is just a crutch for bad ingredients / technique. Tasteful leoparding of the crust is different from the burnt BS New Haven does. Anyone who's using their "great grandfathers" recipe is a lazy hack. Pineapple can go on pizza.

I think that covers it....

* see I'm not always a snob

You are banned from the midwest sir!
IMG_7423.gif

Pages and pages of pizza argument. Let’s talk Mexican food.

I have yet to find Mexican food worth eating outside of Southern California.

Burritos are trash

Taco Bell is delicious, but it isn’t Mexican food. Hell, it isn’t even TexMex

Edit - DONT CALL EVERY SEAFOOD DISH CEVICHE. There are many types and they are all different, even if some or wrong.

Pages and pages of pizza argument. Let’s talk Mexican food.

I have yet to find Mexican food worth eating outside of Southern California.

Burritos are trash

Taco Bell is delicious, but it isn’t Mexican food. Hell, it isn’t even TexMex
Taco Bell is to Mexican food,
As Outback Steakhouse is to Australian food.

Socal is probably the best, but there can be some surprises. Huge Mexican population in Chicago land area make for some great spots. Some of the best tacos I've ever had are by a place called maize im Champaign Illinois

I do have some hesitation, but would probably say Chinese due to endless variation of endless amounts of dishes.
Easy pick for me. No hesitation at all. There are tons of magical dishes, more than any one person can keep track of.

However, it is hard to find worthy Chinese cuisine outside of China. I have found it in the Bay Area and Vancouver, and I hear good things about Toronto, and one particular valley in the Los Angeles area. But I have not found a single Chinese restaurant outside of China that is good enough to survive in Hong Kong. Some do come close.

If I was stuck eating the cuisine of one country exclusively for the rest of my life it would, without hesitation, be Mexico's
If I was stuck eating the cuisine of one country—mine would be, in order of preference:
1] French
2] Chinese
3] Italian
4] Japanese
5] USA
6] Mexican
7] Indian
8] Russian (and former Soviet Republics)
9] Korean
10] Moroccan

Processed cheese is the correct cheese for a burger - should melt and be runny and gooey but not greasy. If you think you’re better than Kraft take some fancy cheeses, add some funny powders, and make your own cheese-food. It’s worth it. Forget selling salads, I should get into the burger business. Cause I have opinions…

Can't say I agree with this take as I personally do not need my cheese to be melted to enjoy it. A proper slice of nice Pepper Jack is my absolute favorite for a burger. I think, btw, that my opinion is the unpopular one here. There is no shortage of food youtubers extolling that a kraft single is indeed the best/correct choice for a burger.

If I was stuck eating the cuisine of one country exclusively for the rest of my life it would, without hesitation, be Mexico's

I mean, that's a great choice. But it's a cheating choice. Mexico is huge and has a ton of regional variety that aren't going to get from a small island nation, a continental European country carved up because the von Housers and the von Homers think theyre different peoples, etc.

I take it you haven't been to Texas yet?

View attachment 269330

"Texas" does not have good Mexican food. San Antonio (and to a lesser extent Houston) has good Mexican food.

Back