What is your Job?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I should update.

After more than 20 years on the job including a lot of production time and then as a technician, earlier this year I was surprisingly promoted to Engineer/Scientist.

It just means they can make me work more hours without paying me OT.

😝
Isn't salary great!

I am a supervising Bridge Engineer. we do heavy construction, and we are tasked with bridges, buildings, and retaining walls, mostly.

Civil Engineers are hard to find. I have some poor dude interviewing ONLINE next week. he lives in India. hahah.. probably be in his pajamas for the interview. slim pickings.

Civil Engineers are hard to find. I have some poor dude interviewing ONLINE next week. he lives in India. hahah.. probably be in his pajamas for the interview. slim pickings.
We've been living with this pain for quite a while now. Only a slowdown in new building construction will result in more civils, MEPs, etc. in the candidate pool.

We've been living with this pain for quite a while now. Only a slowdown in new building construction will result in more civils, MEPs, etc. in the candidate pool.
pay raises in the industry to make it overall more sexy of a career wouldn't suck.

Hmmm… I suppose as far as professional titles go ”Designer” or more specifically ”UX Designer” hits closest to home as I’ve been working on the design of digital products and services for some 25+ years.

I have moved up and down the ladder though through the years to manager and leadership roles also, and after being a Senior Designer and a Design Lead at a startup that developed software for cancer care I recently got offered a chance to try my hand at running the entire design function/department of the 4-5k strong global corporation that acquired us some years back… so, Head of Design (a.i), for now, hopefully get to drop the a.i. in a month or so.

Quite the leap from managing the design of one product to now managing and leading 25+ designers and design managers who serve multiple product lines with multiple hardware and software products. :D

Anyhow… it feels great to be able to contribute to cancer care (the company is one of the leading global innovators on radioterapy, at the heart of it is the design and manufacturing of the ”big machines” used for RT, aka. the art and science of zapping tumors with high energy particles extremely precisely).

the ”big machines” used for RT
Partly due to the Therac-25 incident, the field of software verification got going, to deliver quality assurance via formal methods.

Since 2020, my team and I have been trying to apply those CS ideas to the legal domain, first by developing a language for writing contracts and regulations that computers can read (the old-fashioned way, with a compiler, not ChatGPT), then conducting automated legal quality assurance on what’s been encoded into our formalization.

Currently hunched over a computer in a moldy university lab in basement 2 next to the car park, thinking hard about logics and semantics.

Legal writing – “programming in English” is rife with lexical and referential ambiguities, so we’re starting there as the low-hanging fruit. Programming in something else must be better, but what does that something else look like? That’s the big question.

Last edited:
Partly due to the Therac-25 incident, the field of software verification got going, to deliver quality assurance via formal methods.

Since 2020, my team and I have been trying to apply those CS ideas to the legal domain, first by developing a language for writing contracts and regulations that computers can read (the old-fashioned way, with a compiler, not ChatGPT), then conducting automated legal quality assurance on what’s been encoded into our formalization.

Currently hunched over a computer in a moldy university lab in basement 2 next to the car park, thinking hard about logics and semantics.

Legal writing – “programming in English” is rife with lexical and referential ambiguities, so we’re starting there as the low-hanging fruit. Programming in something else must be better, but what does that something else look like? That’s the big question.
It seems like that would make things easier for just about everyone. Lawyers would have an easier time searching for related legal cases because there are bigger discrete building blocks to search for. It might also be easier to build tools to translate documents into layman's English (or for that matter, into other languages, too) for law students and regular folks.

Large language models do seem to be encroaching on that space a little bit, but there is long-term value in something discrete/predictable.

I'm a programmer in the security space, and twice now I've seen features supposed to be backed by AI or ML end up being backed by deterministic code instead under the covers for ease of maintenance and validation.

This is what direction I've been given by a few professors. I appreciate it.

Oh, and I was stationed in Germany for three years and lived in Bitburg. Famous for its beer.
I would be tempted to do it in the UK. You will graduate in 3 years vs 5-6 in the US.

I think most medium to large cities have their own big brewery and a few smaller ones. In Hannover its Herrenhausen beer

I would be tempted to do it in the UK. You will graduate in 3 years vs 5-6 in the US.

I think moat medium to large cities have their own big brewery and a few smaller ones. In Hannover its Herrenhausen beer
I've been to the UK tons. My best friends while in Germany was ironically British. Well, Welsh. I don't have global plans if I do it, my mind will never turn off and I see myself never retiring. I'm already retired military and make decent money, but only 46. In short, maybe a professor if I do it. I have 5 degrees and 2 masters. I need help.

I've been to the UK tons. My best friends while in Germany was ironically British. Well, Welsh. I don't have global plans if I do it, my mind will never turn off and I see myself never retiring. I'm already retired military and make decent money, but only 46. In short, maybe a professor if I do it. I have 5 degrees and 2 masters. I need help.
Funny enough I'm half Welsh. Doing a PhD was a doddle compared to learning German. But it's something I have to do. Doesn't help I was never particularly good at learning languages. But it keeps the brain active and engaged...... never stop learning

Never heard of threac-25. Interesting couple of minutes with Wikipedia.

Never fails to amaze me how much you learn around here.

Back