What USA made products should we send to Japan?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the company I work for is in the process of opening a store in Japan and are looking for ideas for high quality, American-made goods to retail there. We're trying to strike a tricky balance of finding companies that are big enough to handle wholesale volume, but not so big that the items are already easily accessible.

Shoot me your best shot! It can be kitchen gadgets, fancy sauces, or almost anything else. In the beginning we're looking for shelf-stable (if you're thinking foods) but I'll take a look at anything. An example I had is Bittermilk Cocktail Mixers.

What do you all think? Any ideas?

The Fresh Chile Company's Hatch Green Chile Dijon Mustard. Most Hatch chile canned/jarred products don't do anything for me, though I love roasted fresh Hatch chiles. But this mustard is wonderful, and I use it a lot. Hatch Chiles are severely underappreciated outside the American Southwest, and must be downright exotic as far away as Japan.

One of my favorite things when visiting foreign places is trying the regional snacks. I cant think of anything in particular that screams American, but maybe it all just seems "normal" to me.

1676069212505.png

--mayo (Kewpie tastes different from American mayo, maybe American mayo would be a welcome oddity?)
--root beer
--stone-ground wheat thins
--hot sauces (commodity, like Franks or Crystals, in addition to small makers)
--canned chipotle
--spray cheez + cheez-whiz
--grits (good stuff from SC)
--oyster knives (dexter or r. murphy, few different patterns, mandatory New Haven)

This is actually really challenging... So many "American" things are fiercely regional...

pretzels in all their weird combinations... I figure the weirdest ones will do best in Japan.
beef jerky (though import restriction might be difficult)

Dot’s pretzels, Old Bay seasoning, Autocrat coffee syrup, Dorothy Lynch dressing, are some regional examples.

Corn meal for jonnycakes & cornbread. Maybe Bob’s Red Mill as an easy brand to source.

+1 on Lodge products and Stonewall Kitchen though widely available.

Edge grain hardwood cutting boards.

Pick a couple of regional coffee roasters that you like, George Howell may be a good start in your area.

How does American grown rice compare to what is found in Japan? Good enough to be an interesting alternative?

Yeah, pretzels are a good choice. IMO they must be from Philadelphia (I'd make an exception for pumpernickel pretzels, but only because I don't know of any that come from Philadelphia, and they're wonderful). Uncle Jerry's Extra Dark are my favorite non-fresh pretzel, and the burnt aspect might be a nice twist for your customers, a marker of something unusual.

AR-15s? ;)
Made in pans?

Seems iconically American. If they’re too big, field cast iron, et al would be good

Brooklyn copper cookware. Super expensive but Brooklyn sells
Actually a lot of their stuff is made in Europe. Where ironically their stuff is expensive as hell because they insist on shipping through / from the US...

When I look around in my own kitchen, some of the few American-made items are my microplanes.

AR-15s? ;)

Actually a lot of their stuff is made in Europe. Where ironically their stuff is expensive as hell because they insist on shipping through / from the US...

When I look around in my own kitchen, some of the few American-made items are my microplanes.

If I remember right, only the blades are made in the USA. I believe the rest and assembly is in Mexico. Could be wrong but that sticks in my brain.

I don’t know if there is an alcoholic beverage component to the store, but if there is, I know that good whiskey is a thing in Japan. High West Double Rye! fits the parameters you mentioned for producers; it is VERY good rye whiskey at a very good price. Good luck!
View attachment 225093
Double rye is perpetually my decanter (decoy) whiskey. I thoroughly enjoy it and it's such a good price point. Replaced Buffalo Trace for me as a house bourbon once those prices shot through the roof

I think some dry goods like Filson tin cloth or Mackinaw wool would be well received. It isn't all made in USA anymore, though some is but it's distinctly American in style (yes I'm ignoring the obvious Barbour waxed jacket correlation)

American bourbon/whiskey is already a big hit in Japan and China right now but I think that's a safe bet to stock.

Cajun seasoning mixes like Poche's or Cajun's Choice would be a welcome addition too. They have a good spice/umami flavor profile. You could do the boil packets too, so locals could source crab/shrimp/shellfish and do their own take on a lowcountry or Louisiana crawfish (shrimp) bawl with those seasoning bombs. I liked another poster's option of grits, but grits can be dogshit if not done properly so you'd want good instructions with them. I think creole skrimp and grits would be a big hit.

I genuinely don't know what fruit they have in Japan but maybe something like high end blackberry jam would be a good option too?

Back