Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our first Ciabatta bread and I helped. Wife did most of the work. We are going to try and figure out how to make really good loafs of bread. We cooked it 20 minutes. I wonder what would happen if we went a few more minutes? How do you tell if you have the right time down? It is fresh out of the oven.

View attachment 163182

View attachment 163183
Very nice, congrats! They look just about spot on to me for ciabatta. I would have maybe given the one on the right a couple more minutes. Much like rising times, bread recipe oven times are a guide, you need to decide when it looks right.

thefreshloaf.com is an excellent community of bread nerds. I was a bread nerd for a good while, here are my attempts from (Lordy!) over six years ago including the chasing of a decent baguette.

Keep us posted!

excuse the janky photo. I was unprepared to take the photo. I honestly didn't think this was going to work out.

I made my FIRST ever salmon cakes!

ceke of crab.jpg

Must give that another last try....it NEVER worked except for one time ,eons ago, when I used great freshly pressed unfiltered olive oil...only to find out the hard way that the result was unpalatable...
Yeah, I made mayo with olive oil once. Way too bitter. There are better alternatives 😂

Must give that another last try....it NEVER worked except for one time ,eons ago, when I used great freshly pressed unfiltered olive oil...only to find out the hard way that the result was unpalatable...
Oh yeah, all olive oil is a bit much! It's a great method though! I think the trick is to lift the blender slowly.

Baking is what I need to start exploring.

My mother was a phenomenal baker, truly pro level. But, let's just say we had a tumultuous relationship so I never learned from her.
I also had a complicated relationship with my mother, but she didn't bake, and was a mediocre cook... unlike her mother (my Polish grandmother) who made some of the best food I've ever had and probably inspired my love of cooking. As for baking, it's not as intimidating as it seems, and you can get some great results quite easily. I've only been making bread for a couple of years using this recipe:

No-Knead Crusty White Bread

Of course there's the rabbit hole of bread baking you can go down (just like J-knives) so be careful ;)

Latest posts

Back