Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One pan paprika chicken, simple ingredients, really hearty dish.

0E0319EB-F09E-4240-A89E-102F7CE3381A.jpeg
B5FE48A8-1E26-4BB7-9F5F-2EA61C908028.jpeg

The Masakane deboned the chicken thighs...
h9NTpz8.jpg

I didn't take pictures but my Yoshikane SKD 180mm santoku handled all the rest of the prep duties.

Trying out my new Chef's Presses (13oz). Slow rendered the skin.
VhE559n.jpg

I've never been the best plater but pan seared chicken thigh. Mashed potatoes bolstered with rendered chicken fat. Mushrooms and scallions with a Marsala and Dijon pan sauce.
3OjmXVm.jpg

A really surprising and delicious scallop preparation from Grand Central Oyster Bar. Second time I've made it (first time was better because I was in my kitchen not my cousin's place with a %*%&# induction stove that hates me). Don't be tempted to sear the scallops and don't swap the cream for half and half. Originally NYT Cooking and here's a free link.

View attachment 165319
I read the recipe, thanks for linking that. I have never made creamy scallops but it has to be awesome. I'd be tempted to add a pinch of cayenne. I imagine it would work well over pasta?

I'm still fixated on improving Korean-style ribs. These are my seventh attempt in the last 3 weeks. I love the flavors I've got now. I've got the marinade and seasoning down, but I've bounced between pre-cooking them via sous vide to boost the tenderness and skipping that to keep the meat more rare but I'm struggling to find a happy medium. I learned that I didn't want to bother messing with the standard cut that is much thinner, these are double-cut. But they're tough as hell. I know the connective tissue doesn't start rendering until temps much higher than what I'd want for beef like this, so I'm still struggling.

Seasoned lightly overnight with just a bit of sake or mirin, and a light dusting of salt. Marinade the next day is half a Korean pear, 1 inch segment of peeled ginger, half an onion and 6-8 cloves of garlic, pureed in a blender with some honey, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil and good soy sauce.

Served here with just green onions, sesame seeds, koji salt and a side of ssamjang. Koji salt is one of the tastiest damn things I've discovered in the past few years.

_MG_9588.jpeg

I read the recipe, thanks for linking that. I have never made creamy scallops but it has to be awesome. I'd be tempted to add a pinch of cayenne. I imagine it would work well over pasta?
Thanks lot! It's a "once in a while" dish but it is insanely good. I love recipes that surprise me - worcestershire sauce and celery with scallops? I'm in! A pinch of cayenne would probably be good if you want to spice it up. I tend to make a recipe exactly as written the first time and Honestly wouldn't change a thing with this one (read the NYT notes if you have access).

There's a wonderful blog whose name I forget right now that quotes people who dramatically change recipes and then complain about them 😂. I am not in any way suggesting that adding a pinch of cayenne is doing that (unless you subsequently complained about it being too spicy, of course!) 😂

I'm sure it would be good over pasta, in fact I think one of the NYT. commenters did that. The rice didn't feel quite right, I think first time we had it just with a nice crusty sourdough baguette.

Also, @DitmasPork - it's now cracking me up now how particular your shots are. You should market that bulb! 😀

Last edited:
I'm still fixated on improving Korean-style ribs. These are my seventh attempt in the last 3 weeks. I love the flavors I've got now. I've got the marinade and seasoning down, but I've bounced between pre-cooking them via sous vide to boost the tenderness and skipping that to keep the meat more rare but I'm struggling to find a happy medium. I learned that I didn't want to bother messing with the standard cut that is much thinner, these are double-cut. But they're tough as hell. I know the connective tissue doesn't start rendering until temps much higher than what I'd want for beef like this, so I'm still struggling.

Seasoned lightly overnight with just a bit of sake or mirin, and a light dusting of salt. Marinade the next day is half a Korean pear, 1 inch segment of peeled ginger, half an onion and 6-8 cloves of garlic, pureed in a blender with some honey, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil and good soy sauce.

Served here with just green onions, sesame seeds, koji salt and a side of ssamjang. Koji salt is one of the tastiest damn things I've discovered in the past few years.

View attachment 165633
Looks great! "Koji salt?" Never heard of it but after a quick Google now highly intrigued! And any forum where people post "I'm still fixated on..." followed by something I'm interested in, is a good forum to read! 😀

Looks great! "Koji salt?" Never heard of it but after a quick Google now highly intrigued! And any forum where people post "I'm still fixated on..." followed by something I'm interested in, is a good forum to read! 😀

Thanks, yeah it's amazing on lots of things, proteins in particular.

I think I'll just braise the next batch of short ribs before broiling. I'd rather have the tenderness over the texture.

I've had my eye on these for some time. They will have to wait until my next trip to the US, because shipping for these things is prohibitive.

What's your impression?

Maiden voyage Michi so not a lot to go on yet but I do like them. I like that they vent steam. They have 8oz and a heavier one. I actually think the 13's are the right call as the heavier ones are larger and I think the 8's would be too light. The 13's actually felt a touch light but they did their job well. Chicken browned beautifully. They also stack so you could double up if you wanted to.

Grabbed a nice beef roast today. I know it doesn't look it in the picture but it was done to a nice med-rare. Temped out at 137F when I started slicing.

Z8hoWaD.jpg

Accompanied by potatoes with butter and parsley, a simple salad dressed with a rich balsamic and olive oil, and a dollop of potent horseradish.
zqWnVGb.jpg

I feel like I shoulda made a sauce for the beef but the misses was pleased. ;)

Last edited:
Back