Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a little Louisiana hot sauce on some of the pieces as you eat them.
I had some tabasco, not sure that counts.

This has gotten me craving fried chicken! Tell me more about your FC—is it brined; or buttermilk; breading type?
I mixed some spices and salt into buttermilk and marinated the chicken pieces in it for 24 hours. Then I drained the chicken but reserve some of the buttermilk to mix into plain wheat flour with a tablespoon of baking powder. Then just mix till all is coated and kinda flaky as in the photo, with no wet spots.

Normally I deep fry in canola oil, but this time I had a lot of chicken fat, so I deep fried in that.

Tofu sticks, chicken with fermented black beans, sweet and sour cabbage;
20220217_194853.jpg

Caution - vegetarians look away! Dry aged a couple ribeye roasts that were on sale around Christmas. Ate the first one (30 days) last weekend for the superbowl. Meat definitely had a deeper flavor vs. the control steak, but I think it could be better. Going to push the second roast as close to 60 as I can to see what develops. Few shots of trimming the meat as well as my setup with the second roast still aging.

Had already started trimming before I realized I should be taking photos! Hard crust of the side has already been trimmed and started on the top.
Dry age with top on.jpg

Top trimmed back. Beater knife snuck in originally on the right there while I made sure the dry crust wasn't going to chip an edge!
Dry age top peeled back.jpg

Trimmings - finished with the iron clad Wat!
Dry age trimming complete.jpg

Steaks ready to go. Really nice rich color formed during the process :)
Dry age steaks.jpg

Un-aged grocery store steak for comparison at the top
Dry age with comparison steak.jpg

I dedicated a little mini fridge to the cause. 4" fan off amazon in the back. Little condensation forming from the cut in the seal I made for the fan cord! Will probably trim down a cookie cooling rack for the next round instead of this current jenky setup of paper towels and Styrofoam. A lot of paper towels were consumed in the first week of drying to make sure the steak wasn't sitting in moisture.
Fridge setup.jpg

Caution - vegetarians look away! Dry aged a couple ribeye roasts that were on sale around Christmas. Ate the first one (30 days) last weekend for the superbowl. Meat definitely had a deeper flavor vs. the control steak, but I think it could be better. Going to push the second roast as close to 60 as I can to see what develops. Few shots of trimming the meat as well as my setup with the second roast still aging.

Had already started trimming before I realized I should be taking photos! Hard crust of the side has already been trimmed and started on the top.
View attachment 166167

Top trimmed back. Beater knife snuck in originally on the right there while I made sure the dry crust wasn't going to chip an edge!
View attachment 166168

Trimmings - finished with the iron clad Wat!
View attachment 166169

Steaks ready to go. Really nice rich color formed during the process :)
View attachment 166170

Un-aged grocery store steak for comparison at the top
View attachment 166171

I dedicated a little mini fridge to the cause. 4" fan off amazon in the back. Little condensation forming from the cut in the seal I made for the fan cord! Will probably trim down a cookie cooling rack for the next round instead of this current jenky setup of paper towels and Styrofoam. A lot of paper towels were consumed in the first week of drying to make sure the steak wasn't sitting in moisture.
View attachment 166172
Whenever I dry brine meat in the fridge I always put it on a rack and just flip it at least once a day.

@Michi you really cannot buy cheese, now can you 😁

I've made cheese in the past. Ricotta, brie, feta. I still make mozzarella occasionally. But, overall, I find that there is so much work involved that I can't scrape up the motivation to keep it up. And, to do it well, you need a separate humidity controlled fridge, which I don't have the space for.

Had some friends over for a special occasion, we decided to try to cook A5 Kagoshima wagyu ribeye at home after finding it on sale.
IMG_20220218_173402.jpg
IMG_20220218_180645.jpg

Was pretty good. Cut out all the fat nuggets, rendered them down to cook the meaty parts and then used the rest of the fat for fried rice.

Bangers and mash - Homemade Gloucester sausage, onion gravy, mashed potatoes and peas.
Haven't had a good English sausage in ages and this brought me right back. Only thing missing was a properly poured pint and the lively chatter of a nice pub..
IMG_3746.jpg

Anyone ever cook a dish, not because they were hungry, but because they wanted to test out a particular knife?

Just sharpened/thinned my suji, needed to test it, so I went out and bought a London Broil—cooked low 'n' slow to medium-rare, seasoned with just Salt-N-Pepa. Steak tasted great, knife picked up a wicked patina.

3F0EEC46-CFC6-453C-9124-C5C5D2689458.jpg

57A03365-674B-42B7-90EC-FB5A75267628.jpg

8BCA2E54-8853-40F6-9C37-6D78CCCFF2CA.jpg

FA1851E3-20CA-4A89-8C73-95FE4E1EC028.jpg

Last edited:
Back