Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will make 2 250g dough balls.

Day 1, make the poolish(preferment) by stirring 0,5g dry yeast into 58g lukewarm water, then add 58g of flour. Stir everything together.
Let this sit at room temp for 1 hour in a closed container, then put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Day 2, take the poolish out of the fridge and leave at room temp for 1 hour.
Make the main dough by stirring the poolish into 135g water along with 9g suger and 9g olive oil then add 241g flour.
Knead at low speed for 5 minutes then rest 10 minutes.
Add 8g salt and knead at medium speed for 5-10 minutes or until the dough is shiny and smooth. Let the dough sit at room temp for 1 hour.
Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 250g pieces then ball them up and put them into a proofing box or closed container of your choice.
Stick the box in the fridge for 24 hours.

Day 3, take the dough straight from the fridge and make you pizza. I bake them on a steel in my domestic oven at 275C.

This is basically a recipe by Per Miljkovic-Bangert that I modified to work in my domestic oven by enriching it with oil and suger. It results in a crispy pie with a short bite. If you want it to have a longer bite and be more like a Neapolitan pizza, then leave the oil and suger out and bake at approx 420C

Bon appetit!
What flour do you use? Is it pizza 00?

I will try it next week. I am trying a new Lasagna recipe tonight. It is made with Parmesan besciamella sauce instead of all the cheeses like ricotta which I think dominants the flavor and I don't like. I think it should be a meat flavor not cheese.

Last edited:
Cheesy Arabiki sausage rolls…
IMG_1293.jpeg

Tasty lunch with soup and a salad!
IMG_1292.jpeg

Arabiki is a coarse ground sausage. Key to find brand with natural casing for the snap! Dough is basic pizza dough topped with sesame seeds and everything bagel seasoning...
IMG_1290.jpeg
IMG_1291.jpeg

I just realised that my new'ish mini kettle grill is so small that I can do skewers directly over coals. Please forgive the earthy background, I'm relaying my terrace and removed the old bricks, the new ones arrived today and will go in shortly... Anyway.. Shish Tawouk chicken kebabs in a flatbread with slices of tomato, fresh herbs and toum(Lebanese garlic sauce).
View attachment 246376
View attachment 246377
who cares about the background if he sees the foreground?

I went and bought some lump charcoal today, because I wanted a more intense heat that the cheap briquettes I was using which I got. What I was not prepared for, was how much better the flavour is. Very clean flavour compared to the briquettes. They burned super fast though, so I struggled a bit with timing. But that should hopefully be remedied with practice.
Charcoaled chop and purple hispi cabbage, cucumber and olive salsa, tzatziki. Both the pork and the cabbage tasted amazing. It's nice to learn new things!
IMG_3301.JPG

I went and bought some lump charcoal today, because I wanted a more intense heat that the cheap briquettes I was using which I got. What I was not prepared for, was how much better the flavour is. Very clean flavour compared to the briquettes. They burned super fast though, so I struggled a bit with timing. But that should hopefully be remedied with practice.
Charcoaled chop and purple hispi cabbage, cucumber and olive salsa, tzatziki. Both the pork and the cabbage tasted amazing. It's nice to learn new things!
View attachment 246594
Lump is so much better, IMO. Slightly more maintenance, but well worth it.

So, I made Parmesan besciamella sauce to make lasagne. You make besciamella sauce with 3 bay leaves and a pinch of red pepper flakes and then take it off the burner and stir in parmesan cheese until it melts. It tastes great to me. I used it in lasagna. I layer of noodles then bolognaise and then the parmesan besciamella sauce and so on until you fill the pan. I missed the final picture as I was drinking by then. Here is the sauce making.

I saw one issue is the sauce turned brown in the corners because I did not have round bottom pan. I may have to fix that.
IMG_1299.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 246594

Lump is so much better, IMO. Slightly more maintenance, but well worth it.

My experience is that lump is good for higher heat cooking and briquettes do better at smoking. Lump just burns too fast for me in that application. It's also important to remember that not all briquettes are the same. It's important to use a high-quality, non-impregnated, briquette. I actually like the old standby blue-bag Kingsford.

View attachment 246594
I’ve bee using lump for more than 20 years in my green eggs. Much better heat source than briquettes. Now you need to get an egg!

I think you managed to make a whole lot of enemies in one fell swoop right there ;)
You can't please everyone!

It's Weber kettles and gas grills I see the most around here. I think it's just that we don't have the culture of cooking low and slow like in the US.

I think you managed to make a whole lot of enemies in one fell swoop right there ;)
there was no judgement in that remark even if it may seems so ;-)

I'm just seriously wondering why folks would shell out a grand for one and not use it, my new pizza oven has seen more traffic in 3 weeks than most Kamado's / green eggs around me in 2 years..

Food looks great but mind sharing your thoughts about the Schanz?
Schanz is a knife maker of the German Knife Makers Guild. The knife comes from my beginnings with custom knives. His knives are more in the laser category. Unfortunately, he didn't make knives with proper and thick tapers. The handle is from the Kochmalscharfforum. I had him build me 3 knives based on my own design. The knives are not bad. But no longer correspond to my current preferences. They cut carrots easily and without cracking. However, the Foodrlease is not the best. But the bread knife is really good. The steel of all three knives is SB1.

What he's really good at is thinning knives. I don't like his finish that much though.

IMG_9136.jpg

It’s been a few years since I baked any significant amounts of bread. Decided to jump into sourdough. 5 loaves this week. Finally, on the fifth one I ended up with a decent sourdough shokopan. A batch of cultured butter to celebrate.

I forgot how LONG sourdough needs compared to instant yeast. I had it in my head that it was first an issue with my protein (partially, the flour I was using was far lower than I expected until I started looking at labels), and then I was convinced I was over proofing due to a super high starter percentage. Reduced the starter content, and massively increased the raising time and I’m pleased.

Attachments

• 70754929159__58A1EFB9-D78C-4419-BB8E-27CDED78F5FC.jpeg
    70754929159__58A1EFB9-D78C-4419-BB8E-27CDED78F5FC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back