Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomato Polenta with truffle cheese and spinach...
1000037004.jpg

1000037015.jpg

1000037021.jpg

Would you mind sharing the recipie/s? Sounds really good
honestly i very much just improv'd them for the most part, but i'm sure you can replicate it if you google recipes for both. Keep in mind, the sorbet does require a piece of specialty equipment (an ice cream machine). And a tip for the olive oil cake, bake them in a dark springform and sprinkle sugar over the top about 5 minutes into baking, you'll get this lovely nutty caramel crust overtop that cracks and gives the top as nice of a crust as the sides that were touching the springform.

And this recipie would be appreciated. My wife would like to try it, and i would love to taste it... 😋

But of course. I'd actually first seen this recipe on here. Recipe was from here:
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/the-ultimate-baklava-cheesecake/

Based on some other recipes I'd seen I added:
To the cream cheese filling (when you add the sour cream):
1 tsp Fiora di Sicilia (or you could use 2 tsp vanilla extract)
2 tsp lemon juice

To the nuts for the crust
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon.

I used a pure full-fat sour cream (one that had no gelling agents). My family was over the moon about how good this tasted.

It's been absolutely miserable here today, rainy and cold, so a bit of vintage Danish nostalgia was in order!
Frikadeller aka Danish pork and veal meatballs, with stewed hispi cabbage, buttered potatoes and pickled beets.
IMG_6746.JPG

you got it. this is what I did.

I used 2 thighs. I took out the bone and ripped off the skin. cut it up into chopstick eating sized pieces.
marinate them:
tablespoon of soy sauce
teaspoon of sesame oil
tablespoon of Shauxing cooking wine (I just butchered the spelling)...Sherry totally works.
some white pepper
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
I would guess 3/4 tablespoon of cornstarch.
I put in one cube of chicken bullion as a cheat.
garlic, and chopped tiny ginger, and chopped tiny (white parts only) green onion.

while that sits for 20 minutes.
chop up two Chinese sausage sticks into biased slices.
slice up 3 rehydrated Chinese mushrooms
optional: slice up about three fingers worth of Wood Ear mushrooms...
rough chop up 3 fingers worth of lily flower petals. (optional maybe)
the mandatory are Chinese sausage, mushrooms, and the chicken...never tried fresh shiitake, but I gotta think it would work.

now dump in the new chopped mushrooms into the marinated chicken (if it looks dryish..dump in some of the water you soaked the mushrooms in- just to wet it up).. spread it out onto a shallow dish, and put it into a steamer for 15 minutes. done. sprinkle on the green parts of the green onion you took the white parts from.
image.jpg

First time doing something like this. Yum!

Cooking for cancer part II

fresh scallop, marinated in Mirin and Shoyu and a touch of rice vinegar, topped with some wild picked Andilaman (sichuan) pepper and Murray salt, Salmon roe and Wasabi mayo on the side
20240404_181414.jpg
20240404_182352.jpg

Sous vide Asparagus with Kentjoer, ginger, Kaffir lime leave and EVO, Salmon marinated in some Mirin and Sake on the skin topped with black pepper and some grated lime zest and samfire and small potatoes fried in Goose fat infused with herbs.
Paired with a glass of La Vialla Rose.

My GF is the recipient, so we're sticking to a fasting mimicking diet to hit the bastard cells over the head extra hard during chemo also trying keep side effects down (really weird how little research there is on that w.r to diets). As a reward I cook whatever she fancies when she's well enough to enjoy it.
I added the remark un intentionally, but it apparently became a household name....few more sessions to go...

My GF is the recipient, so we're sticking to a fasting mimicking diet to hit the bastard cells over the head extra hard during chemo also trying keep side effects down (really weird how little research there is on that w.r to diets). As a reward I cook whatever she fancies when she's well enough to enjoy it.
I added the remark un intentionally, but it apparently became a household name....few more sessions to go...
Sorry to hear. All the best, hope she recovers well…

F**K cancer! I know you'll take good care of GF and hope all goes as well as possible...

Sorry to hear that, hope things work out.
I had the same experience when my dad was diagnosed with cancer just over a year ago; there seems to be very little attempt from the medical side to look into nutrition to either help the situation, reduce side-effects, or avoid additional problems stacking on top.

I guess part of the problem in researching it is that not everyone manifests the same problems / reactions. My dads main problem during chemo were mostly nausea and complete lack of hunger... so at that point the main focus was really on 'trying to get as much calories in', which was actually quite a challenge as his whole flavor system was messed up.

Then when his flavor returned he basically went into 'oh what the hell it doesn't matter anyway'-mode and within half a year he started struggling with blood sugar levels and high inflammation. Actually managed to get that under control fairly quickly though largely by going for all the low-hanging fruit.

But at any moment in the cycle nutrition seemed largely a 'black hole' in treatment. Basically the medical solution to any problem was just another pill.

Not trying to hyjack this thread, or hawking for sympathy..there is a group in Milan (the Italian national cancer center) doing actual research on this and they are one of the few doing it. I handed the articles to our pretty sceptical and conservative oncologist to even the discussion arena as much as possible.

back to food now ;-)

I tried to suggest my dad to move towards periodical fasting or at least limiting his eating hours but that was really a bridge too far. Had to settle for at least getting him off the ice-cream with whipped cream, white bread, chocolate milk and most of the processed garbage.
But tackling high blood sugar and inflamation values is a simpler goal since the results are quicker and easier to notice - and at the time my dad was starting to get enough problems from them that he was at least open to trying new things to improve quality of life.

very sorry to hear that.
i am sure that you'll make her heaven on earth to feel as comfortable as possible.
i wish both of you the best of luck and therapy. whenever you have the impression that something goes wrong , don't hesitate to look for second opinion and/or change therapy.

it's related indeed.

I found this review 'handy'
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/cas.15492

we're following the regimen listed in this FU protocol to a previous study by the Milan group, well to the best we can...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7450058/
I hope your GF can get through some tough times. Years ago I read how fasting, eating non processed food can be largely beneficial. Was interested in mice studies they are mammals with short lifespans so good for study. Eating good mice food & fasting mice had longest lifespans.

Eating non processed food is not that hard once you get past cravings. Fasting thought about it haven't really done it. We do eat twice a day breakfast afternoon lunch. After that just snack on fruit etc. We have kept weight off not eating large meal after 3pm.

That second article you folks are trying explained why fasting is helpful with cancer. Interesting reading. Italians seem to be ahead in this field of research.

Back