Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not posted in a while on this forum so thought I would share a picture of my latest creation Oyakodon! It's a Japanese dish meaning mother and child, made of chicken and egg (the mother and childđź‘Ť) served over rice. This is my version as the chicken was sous vide instead of poached but I don't think the result is too far from the original, it's very good as comfort food!

IMG_20210621_221244_759.jpg

Yeah, we've been on holidays to Italy quite a few times. I just love the food there. My wife said no to a meat curing fridge (rightfully so ;) ). Now I just stick to simple stuff like guanciale.

I highly recommend trying some Jamon iberico de bellota, very tasty. I managed to find a half decent producer that ships all over Europe. I used to often go to Madrid for work and take charcuterie back home. Good old days ;)
(My friend from Extramadura says he prefers the paleta (front leg), more affordable too)

I find both prosciutto and jamon delicious, but lately I prefer jamon better.
Parma and San Daniele do differ slightly, just like the Spanish ones, but at the end it depends more of the producer than the actual place.

Small teaser from a month ago, jamon iberico be bellota:
20210408_175642.jpg
20210408_175632.jpg

This Spaghetti Carbonara reminded me what a privilege it is to have access to good, fresh eggs. Just a 10 minute ride on my bicycle and I'm at my local dairy farm. They have some free range chickens who roam the courtyard and lay eggs for the farmer and us locals. I have been buying them for a couple of years and eat them almost daily, but it's never lost on me just how yummy they are.
IMG_2311.jpg

Duck legs, greens, Yukon gold mash and salsa verde…
1F09118F-00D9-4519-BFE6-DF8FB14F4B08.jpeg

6396442B-575D-4C85-B7AD-CAF5C24B02D8.jpeg

I didn’t have enough duck fat to do a true confit so I baked in my little Breville oven, with what duck fat I had, at 135C for 2 hours then crisped under the broiler….
9D82A6B3-EF12-4DC5-B1AC-2E5BAD34F878.jpeg

Last edited:
A quick lunch does not have to be boring...

Artisanale sourdough bread (local, as Michi is too far away), Organic butter and, Organic Jersey cow raw milk 9m matured cheese (Remeker), Brandt & Levie Fennel Salami, some dill pickles. and a cappa made with organic whole milk (steams better and more flavor) with with now well rested Ethipiopian Sidamo Espresso roasted a week ago.

Nor purposely heavy on the organic aspect but we try steer clear of anything non organic with a decent fat content.
20210624_122637.jpg

Last edited:
A quick lunch does not have to be boring...

Artisanale sourdough bread (local, as Michi is too far away), Organic butter and, Organic Jersey cow raw milk 9m matured cheese (Remeker), Brandt & Levie Fennel Salami, some dill pickles. and a cappa made with organic whole milk (steams better and more flavor) with with now well rested Ethipiopian Sidamo Espresso roasted a week ago.

Nor purposely heavy on the organic aspect but we try steer clear of anything non organic with a decent fat content.
View attachment 132253
How is the Remeker? I've heard about it but never really went out of my way to get it due to the pricetag... Twice as much as my usual Stolwijker feels a bit steep. :D Is it really that good?

How is the Remeker? I've heard about it but never really went out of my way to get it due to the pricetag... Twice as much as my usual Stolwijker feels a bit steep. :D Is it really that good?
It is ' sum-ting' else...its's pricey but so much more flavorful, they use grass fed Jersey cows, raw milk, low salt means all flavors are there. Stolwijker is nice too, it's just that Remeker is so different that I'd sooner compare it to Jura/Alpine cheeses. If you find a shop just get a taste of it to see.

It is ' sum-ting' else...its's pricey but so much more flavorful, they use grass fed Jersey cows, raw milk, low salt means all flavors are there. Stolwijker is nice too, it's just that Remeker is so different that I'd sooner compare it to Jura/Alpine cheeses. If you find a shop just get a taste of it to see.
Raw milk is at this point a hard minimum for me for the Dutch cheeses. It's an abomination that all that pasteurized tasteless junk in the supermarket is allowed to be sold as cheese... Also makes it easier to taste if it actually is grassfed or not; with Stolwijker (and most boerenkaas) you always notice the seasonal variation.
I'll just keep it on the list then... main issue is I could never find anyone selling it in my area and I can't be bothered ordering cheese online. :)

You should be able to find in cheese shops that specialize in 'better cheese' versus more of the same, I'm lucky to have two in town. There is a list of shops on their website!

I remember the great butters and breads back when I lived in Germany in 1950's for a few years. The best I seem to find nowadays in Texas is KerryGold and LandOLakes sweet cream butter no salt.

making butter is not that difficult, yet you still need great milk to start with. Raw organic free range milk from cows that can eat plenty of grass and herbs is a good start.

Time to again do things with my smoker.

Polish style cured and smoked pork loin.

In the brine:
IMG_4274.jpeg

After curing for a week, tied up and ready to smoke:
IMG_4279.jpeg

After smoking and blanching, and having dried overnight:
IMG_4282.jpeg

Ready to eat, on a home-made bagel:
IMG_4284.jpeg

Time to again do things with my smoker.

Polish style cured and smoked pork loin.

In the brine:
View attachment 132587
After curing for a week, tied up and ready to smoke:
View attachment 132588
After smoking and blanching, and having dried overnight:
View attachment 132589
Ready to eat, on a home-made bagel:
View attachment 132586

Very nice I can taste it just by looking at it.

Put a picture of your smoker in the smoking food thread. In in action would be the best.

Rib eye steak with sautéed smoked mushrooms, deglazed with semillon and bourbon, and finished with a demi-glace and butter. With a side salad of sorrel and lacto-fermented aji rojo (both from the garden), and avocado with a sprinkle of cured duck egg yolk.

This was a seriously nice meal. Probably my best effort in the past six months. Photos can't convey the taste and texture… :(

IMG_4289.jpeg

Last edited:
For the soccer game yesterday I was asked to make "grill food".

So I grilled up some steaks and aubergines. I also dressed some tomatoes and made a dill/chive new potato salad. I grew the potatoes myself, and tomatoes and aubergines were grown 900 meters from my house. So everything on the plate is local, except for the steaks which were from the other side of the planet. On the steak is a tarragon garlic butter.
IMG_20210626_175957.jpg
IMG_20210626_184107.jpg
IMG_20210626_185253.jpg
IMG_20210626_185947_01.jpg

Back