Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered making her an account on the forums? ;)

I was blessed in that my girlfriend already had half-decent knife skills and used proper sized knives. Ended up giving her a Sukenari Gin3 as her gateway knife. Now the problem is that she's spoiled and complains about the state of the knives at all of her friends... :)

quick Gen. Tso chicken...

20210630_195629.jpg

That slab pie looks great. I want one. Do you have a recipe?
So this was a mix of multiple recipes.

Quarter sheet pan
1 sheet of puff pastry thawed and then used to line the pan. Kept in the fridge until ready to use.

Filling was a mix of fruits, in our case mulberries, cherries and strawberries. 4 cups mixed with 1/2 of sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour.

Crumble on top was 1 cup of flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon. This was mixed with 1 stick room temp butter by hand until no flour was showing. Kept in the freezer until used (while the fruit was mixed)

Put the filling on-top of the puff pastry, and then top with the crumble.

We baked for about 25 minutes.

My first attempt at making chana masala and my first time trying to make Indian food. It probably wasn’t traditional or as good as some of you can make it, but it was really tasty, and I was really happy with it.

Attachments

• D913D126-1EF7-4D99-AB2F-0DF5AC24CD60.jpeg
    D913D126-1EF7-4D99-AB2F-0DF5AC24CD60.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 3
I have to try that ^ if not for the hesitance to combine fish and cheese....since a pretty fulminant food poisoning that combo never works for me....I usually do integrate some anchovy in my pizza sauce, yet a hint of fish and cheese together makes me sick...

@Oshidashi who needs cans if the real deal is there!
You might have missed the point of the referenced article.
In Spain and Portugal, premium conservas are considered as much of a delicacy as fresh fish for a number of interesting reasons.

From the article:

Though fish and shellfish are eaten fresh throughout the region, canning is an often preferred method for preparing and conserving the best of their plenteous waters. In fact, the resulting range of products, called “conservas,” are considered a delicacy.

“The best conserva makers are canning fish caught literally the day before,” says Abel Álvarez, the chef and owner of the restaurant Güeyu Mar, and an adjacent small specialty cannery next door, in Spain’s northern coastal region of Asturias. “Why wouldn’t you maintain the freshness of that fish as long as possible?” This idea rings true with most conserva makers and consumers: canning is a way to capture the catch at its peak—a tinned time capsule of unparalleled flavor and nutrients.

Today in the Iberian peninsula the appeal of conservas holds stronger than ever. “Spaniards care more about quality seafood than almost any other culture,” says Matt Goulding, author of author of Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain’s Food Culture. “They know some of the best stuff goes in cans.”

Last edited:
I have to try that ^ if not for the hesitance to combine fish and cheese....since a pretty fulminant food poisoning that combo never works for me....I usually do integrate some anchovy in my pizza sauce, yet a hint of fish and cheese together makes me sick...
Not a single trace of anchovy taste remains in this. But, after the food poisoning incident, you are probably hyper-sensitive. I have a similar thing about pickled beetroot…

I have been practicing making tomagoyaki (Japanese egg omelet), for sushi. It is very simple, really, the home version, though flipping with precision and temperature control are important and take time to learn. Recipe consists of 3 large eggs, mixed with a teaspoon of dried dashi, a teaspoon of white sugar, a teaspoon of usukuchi soy sauce, and a tablespoon of good Mirin. I usually strain the mixture for more uniform consitency and color, but didn't today. The mixture is cooked in a rectangular pan for the purpose. Very delicious in the end.

IMG_1914.jpg

Back