Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't think it has to be top-grade meat all the time, especially for mince. Chuck makes a good mincing meat, for example. Good fat content, lots of flavour, and it's a cheap cut. Similarly, pork neck and pork butt make for good pork mince.

I like grinding my own meat mainly because I get to control fat content, and because I know what's gone into it. No water, no fillers, no ears and noses…
Agree there, the issue in this country is that decent meat for a reasonable price is hard to find, what I would call normal beef is sold at butchers and commands pharmacy prices...once i find a good supply I will certainly consider making my own.

Agnolotti filled with beef ragu and served with porcini mushrooms, butter, lemon, parsley and parmesan cheese.
IMG_2269.JPG

Agree there, the issue in this country is that decent meat for a reasonable price is hard to find, what I would call normal beef is sold at butchers and commands pharmacy prices...once i find a good supply I will certainly consider making my own.
Yeah this is really the problem. You can theoretically grind your own, but getting the cheaper cuts from better animals to grind your own is actually quite difficult, and generally becomes a rather uneconomical exercise. You end up paying 15-20 bucks a kilo for your mince meat.
The easier solution for me is to just drive to Germany and go to a store where they still grind it fresh.

Darned second egg yolk didn’t wanna play nice… but tataki gyudon today. Just sliced boneless short rib nice and thin with my kono 330 shiro 1 yanagi, then lightly torched with my own recipe of Chinese salt and pepper seasoning, finished with scallion and furikake over short grain sticky rice. This really hit the spot.
84065202-B7B5-41DA-A01A-80734E5C60CD.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting life week. My fridge/freezer went tits up. So we ordered a new one. No big.

then my home electricity goes haywire. Flickering lights ——-> half the house going dark. My meter box fried! My electrician pulls a rabbit out of the hat. He secured a permit in record time (hours, not 4 weeks) , and called his utility buds to shut my home down. His crew replaced the panel, and the utility was there to make the connection. And they signed the permit! I only have to wait until the building inspector give the green light to the stucco repair and I’m good.

the fridge got delivered on time. I’m happy I didn’t have to plug it to a cord running from my neighbors house. And I replaced my kitchen faucet, same day. And the last step of my root canal is complete. The cap is glued. What week!

so today? I felt like having pineapple for breakfast. My knife-work blows! :)

IMG_0325.jpeg

Interesting life week. My fridge/freezer went tits up. So we ordered a new one. No big.

then my home electricity goes haywire. Flickering lights ——-> half the house going dark. My meter box fried! My electrician pulls a rabbit out of the hat. He secured a permit in record time (hours, not 4 weeks) , and called his utility buds to shut my home down. His crew replaced the panel, and the utility was there to make the connection. And they signed the permit! I only have to wait until the building inspector give the green light to the stucco repair and I’m good.

the fridge got delivered on time. I’m happy I didn’t have to plug it to a cord running from my neighbors house. And I replaced my kitchen faucet, same day. And the last step of my root canal is complete. The cap is glued. What week!

View attachment 237598
8 out 10 for the shitshow of a week... had you broken your leg, i'd give it a 9 :D

but, I hear ya... and pineapple knife work... more like can't wait til it's get in mah bellyyyyyyyyy

Hey, no problem. I didn’t mean to be rude, I just wanted to tell you that you can click on the link and see the preparations. Ratatouille reminds me of my mother. I have only good memories when I cook (and eat) it…

The green herbs in the pot was wild garlic, the green herbs on the bread was basil, of course.

I did not feel any rudeness. So rest easy. And Thank You.

Nothing fancy here. The goal was to see if i could get decent enough heat setting my wok through the center insert over some charcoal baskets. Not bad! I’d like to see a bit more wok smoke, so I will definitely use a bit more charcoal next time.

IMG_7013.jpeg
IMG_7017.jpeg

Asparagus with Basil oil, and Asparagus with Tomato oil both Sous Vide, steamed Malta taters, Mangalica chop Tonkatsu, homemade Tonkatsu sauce.

Apfelstrudel with vanilla custard, strawberries and whipped cream, hazelnut crunch, powdererd sugar dusting.

20230416_181647.jpg
20230416_185907.jpg

Last edited:
I just discovered a new coffee roast profile, a 'carbonized roast'' , well beyond French roast...

folks, do not try this at home, smoke is still bellowing from the shed....drop temp, well north of 250'C (forgot to log events since I was seriously thinking I was going to need the fire extinguisher so much smoke was coming out)

(needed 99% carbonized beans to calibrate the NIR roast meter project thingy)

Attachments

• 20230416_210048 (1).jpg
    20230416_210048 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 237598
I’m glad to hear your good attitude is intact!

Back