Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrod12345

Reaction score
Gday people. I live in Australia and have been looking at some Y Tanaka knives. Chefs-edge has HADO shirogami 2, and Sakai Kikumori Tanaka x kyuzo aogami 1 knives. The Hado are a wide bevel with great geometry. Both are similar prices. What would be the pros and cons to each? I am really tossing up between the 2 and am wanting a 240 gyuto only.

Aogami 1 : Yoshikazu Tanaka Blue 1 Gyuto 240mm

Shirogami 2 : HADO

Thanks! Would love to see peoples personal opinions between the two.

both a forged by Y Tanaka, but the sharpener is different. Kyuzo one has a thinner grind. It depends on which one you like. both are great.

Thankyou, I thought that the Hado had a thinner grind so good to know that kyuzo is thinner. Is there a way to tell via looking at the images
both a forged by Y Tanaka, but the sharpener is different. Kyuzo one has a thinner grind. It depends on which one you like. both are great

1655121073587.png
1655121094089.png

now you made me confused 😀

I am a Perth Local and have handled both blades in the shop.... I went in to get the B1 ended up with the Hado

The Hado is a thinner knife with a higher grind, better tip and better finish

The SK is also very nice and Y. Tanaka B1 is amazing but for me the 'step down' to W#2 was worth it
Thankyou. I agree with everything you have said. I am so torn between both knives. I’d rather the B1 but the Hado is just better. I also hate the handle that’s on that b1 Tanaka because it just doesn’t appeal to me.

Does anybody know the pros and cons to white 2 and blue 1? I hear ther b1 is basically Tanaka sans specialty. I also hear that W2 is the favourite steel of most sushi chefs

Another Hado option: HADO Knives | Gyuto 240mm Junpaku Shirogami #1 | Modern Cooking
If you are not set on 240mm I highly recommend Sakai Kikumori Yugiri, Tanaka forded stainless clad Blue 1, really nice grind and weight.
Thankyou. I would consider other options, however there is only a couple Tanaka knives in Australia to choose from. The rest are overseas and it seems like a huge hassle to import. I don’t know. Is it difficult to import?

Hado sharpener learned his wide bevel sharpening from Kyuzo, so it’s pretty similar in terms of grind
W2 gets sharper easily, but if your cutting tasks have alot of board contact, B1 might be better in terms of edge retention

Last edited:
Another Hado option: HADO Knives | Gyuto 240mm Junpaku Shirogami #1 | Modern Cooking
If you are not set on 240mm I highly recommend Sakai Kikumori Yugiri, Tanaka forded stainless clad Blue 1, really nice grind and weight.

I have just received delivery of this knife and it is something else. The grind is just wow. There is a good video kicking around of an interview with the sharpener. He mentions that his boss wasn’t happy with his pace of work and he responded that, the problem is, he is a perfectionist. That sold it for me.

Have you checked out pro tooling? They usually have some great Tanakas and are in Aus. I always recommend kyuzo and blue 1.

Pros and cons of each: Basically blue 1 will have higher edge retention, and lower toughness. White 2 is the opposite. White 2 will be a little quicker to sharpen but not by much.

Thankyou. I would consider other options, however there is only a couple Tanaka knives in Australia to choose from. The rest are overseas and it seems like a huge hassle to import. I don’t know. Is it difficult to import?
Importing from Japan has been pain free for me and shipping costs (if you can't get it free) can be less than GST.

Also faster than AusPost

How long would you say roughly it takes from the moment of purchase online to arrival at your door?

Also do you have to pay any import taxes etc?

All up it took 5-6 days to my door and I only paid tax when buying from an auction site (eBay and Buyee)

H
I am a Perth Local and have handled both blades in the shop.... I went in to get the B1 ended up with the Hado

The Hado is a thinner knife with a higher grind, better tip and better finish

The SK is also very nice and Y. Tanaka B1 is amazing but for me the 'step down' to W#2 was worth it
Hey mate, I just received my Hado 240. Thankyou so much for the persuasion and advice. Am absolutely in love with the thing! It’s incredible

Back