Media Youtube AWESOME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting video, the title is very click baity but the content is good

Very interesting indeed.
I wonder if the edge stability test just looks worse on the bad heat treat because the damage goes deeper, but the damage at the apex itself is similar. I think it goes to show the value of real world testing, because based on the images, people might claim it's obvious to have worse retention. (I could really imagine an internet argument like "You have to be an idiot to look at those edges and think they have the same retention."). Things aren't always as obvious as they look.

I can't tell what the knife started out as. The spine makes it seem like a straightened (edge) petty but it also looks pretty asymmetric at times like a honesuki. Thinking petty.

Last edited:
It's a shame we call them sharpeners when actual sharpening is such a small part of what their craft really entails. "Profilers" or something seems much more fitting.

I know it's my own romantic notions but in my mind, I picture some shop owners scrambling to get some face time with Yu Kurosaki while @JBroida is having tea with guys like this. :)

Paging @ethompson and @KasumiJLA...

It's a shame we call them sharpeners when actual sharpening is such a small part of what their craft really entails. "Profilers" or something seems much more fitting.

I know it's my own romantic notions but in my mind, I picture some shop owners scrambling to get some face time with Yu Kurosaki while @JBroida is having tea with guys like this. :)

Paging @ethompson and @KasumiJLA...

You are absolutely right here! Sharpening is such a vast word to describe what can be done in the shop. But not all sharpeners can repair or correct geometry like that. The tools used is a big factor too.

For my part, I wouldn't dare make a correction on the ura. I don't have enough experience with single bevels apart from straightening or correcting a twist. And where I live, yanagiba aren't a big deal and I don't see them often, so I can't really practice and gain XP.

And just to make a little aside, I recently discovered blacksmiths who are much more accessible than Yu Kurosaki and it's so nice to be able to talk with them and discuss our passion. There's a lot of nice people around here and Instagram who makes beautiful and outstanding knives outside of Japan.

Speaking with them allows you to create super enriching exchanges and above all to be able to share knowledge, which is super important in my opinion. We are in such a niche area and resources are very limited, so direct contact with enthusiasts is so important!

Anybody know what this petty is in Lucas Sin’s new mushroom video on Food52 YouTube?

D5469B60-21E6-488E-A60C-44D414989E6B.png

Anybody know what this petty is in Lucas Sin’s new mushroom video on Food52 YouTube?

View attachment 277765

Looks like a Sakai Yusuke, most often found at BlueWayJapan. Very similar to the Ginga/HD/Tasatsuna OG lasers. Came in extra thick and extra thin versions tho. Screened Kanji always put me off vs it’s competitors. But just a guess.

1698217905522.png

This is a cool video with a lot of things to notice. Dude can break down a monk fish that's for sure! They show it a little more slowly at the end of the video.

Things I noticed...

There's several different knives used from deba to usuba and maybe even a bunka? It looked double bevel anyway.

The bare hook at head height while he worked freaked me out.

The gaijin doing grunt work.

The building and decor are amazing.

Dude puts on his nice shirt while still cooking.

The 70 year old waitress looks great.

Lots of formality and tradition but mixed with modernity and a casual sense.

I always feel obligated to defend ChefsChoice sharpeners. Back when I was working in the cutlery industry I had a chance to evaluate every new model they brought out each year. Some models worked better than others but I never had the problems this guy is having. I gave away most of these machines to friends and family with all positive feed back from them. Currently, I still use a Model 2100 Commercial when ever I want to thin the edges on my meat cutting knives.

I think they have their place, as long as you're not expecting miracles from them. But for a cheap setup where you're just grinding through Victorinoxes, maybe with a rod alongside it, I think it's fine. If it's between chef's choice and no sharpening at all, it's still a massive improvement.

Back