Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homemade jalapeño cheddar sausages fresh off the smoker. What's in the pan is about half the batch since it wouldn't all fit on my little WSM.

_MG_4773.jpeg

_MG_4807.jpeg

_MG_4780.jpeg

My friend @Lars ...

Now, while I consider ducks to be the carp of the skies, I realize many people like it and clearly you're one of them. Your "mistake" plates still look better than most of our "masterpieces" and you didn't have to say a thing about over cooking the breast. We'd have been none the wiser. But you did say it and I applaud you for it! We all mess up and it's nice when you see others you admire aren't immune.

In solidarity, today my wife texted me at work that she had a hankering for fried chicken. It's Friday, and Fridays are free-for-alls around here so neither of us are obligated to cook. She wasn't pressuring me to cook, but more trying to convince me to order something later.

Order fried chicken??? I think not! I make some damn fine fried chicken thank you and what else did I have to do this evening?

Oh look, four pounds of whole wings are on sale at the store! BAM!

Came home and got my knife work done pretty early. Trimmed off the tips and then separated the drums and flats. Put half in the freezer for another time and the other half in the fridge for later.

Wait a second... There's a couple potatoes in there getting green and on their way out so... Tossed them in some hot water to parboil.

Jamming to tunes, sipping beer and just generally trying to scrape off a nasty week while I casually got stuff ready here and there.

Spuds out of the water and into the fridge to cool a bit... Pop back in a little later and make up a classic Buffalo sauce and Honey/Mustard sauce... Okay, put those into the fridge for later.

Here I am, I don't have to cook, but I'm enjoying myself and the evening is melting away...

I remember making the batter and the pre-batter flour dusting. I do. I remember it all quite clearly and I knew what I was doing. I can't say anything was an accident. In fact, it turned out amazingly well...

I mean, if Buffalo wings were tempura fried!!!

Cnz0Imu.jpg

:rolleyes: 😔

My hands just grabbed the corn starch and the baking powder and stuff just happened... I don't know... I wasn't even drunk yet... *sigh*

Ah well, the wife and I still chowed down on everything and had a good laugh.

:)

Last edited:
Crispy chicken skin is the bomb! I cook a lot of leg quarters for soup, chicken stew, stir fry, etc. i always remove the skin, cut it up and cook it till crisp. My dog loves it, and what I don't eat, he gets!
Lucky dog. When I poach a chicken for soup, I take off the skin carefully afterwards and crisp up in a pan. Delicious as pre dinner snack and much better use than soft and flabby from the poaching.

Hunting a little redemption tonight... 😄

Tsunehisa G3 210mm gyuto with a Real Sharp Knife handle. Sometimes I get caught up trying out different knives and this one sits and then I grab it, and it's always the same... Wow, man I love this thing! The edge is so keen. I just tuned it up and it readily sliced through the sponge and the heel nicked me for a tiny but deep cut.
GZlPuFM.jpg

Cucumber, red bell pepper, purple onion, jalepeno, and an Asian dressing.
zOPF9gF.jpg

Smoked pork top loin. While the weather was nuts and produced some challenges, mostly cooked at 275-300F to a temp of 135F and then rested.
wOpHa76.jpg

Asian noodle (whole grain linguine) salad with a sweet and spicy sesame dressing.
8TPRAGW.jpg

I turned trash into treasure today. The leftovers from friday night's failure made a seriously yummy fry up.
Old school danish Biksemad with potato, onion, leftover duck breast and a little bacon for piggy goodness. With fried egg and pickled beets.
IMG_2599.jpg

I turned trash into treasure today. The leftovers from friday night's failure made a seriously yummy fry up.
Old school danish Biksemad with potato, onion, leftover duck breast and a little bacon for piggy goodness. With fried egg and pickled beets.
That reminds me of my time in Stockholm for some reason, there is dish served frequently like that. It is called something like 'pit-y-panna.'
Anyway, looks good and thanks for the trip down Nostalgia Lane, I enjoyed my life in Stockholm quite a lot.

Summer is over, well in a sense, the kiddos go back to school tomorrow. I really hope they have a more stable year this year.
Their last supper for summer break 2021, grilled bbq'd chicken thighs, grilled gold potatoes, and cole slaw.

mise en place, seasoned thighs, par-cooked taters tossed in olive oil, bottled bbq sauce for the flesh, and salt and pepper for the taters
misenplacegrill1.jpg

on the grill
ongrill1.jpg

and plated
grillplate1.jpg

In retrospect, a lot of beige and browns again, need to add some more colors to my palette!

That reminds me of my time in Stockholm for some reason, there is dish served frequently like that. It is called something like 'pit-y-panna.'
Anyway, looks good and thanks for the trip down Nostalgia Lane, I enjoyed my life in Stockholm quite a lot.
Pytt i panna is the Swedish version. It's nostalgic for me too. Happy to have brought back some good memories for you..!

Did a 13lb brisket on Saturday. Turned out pretty good, still room for improvement. I'm using a food *wood* fired offset smoker so technique comes into play on keeping temp low and stable for long smokes. I cook a little hot so I can start it in the morning and eat it that same evening.
Dexter 12" for the slicing.
qPRhQQT.jpg

Bneqr0v.jpg

Last edited:
Back