Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Denmark we celebrate Saint Martin of Tours every year on this date by eating goose or more recently duck(sorry Erik). We call it “Morten’s aften” as Martin somehow turned into Morten on the way from France. The story goes that Martin was to be appointed bishop, but tried to escape the task by hiding among a flock of geese. The geese didn’t cooperate and so as bishop, Martin ordered that every household should slaughter and cook a goose at least once a year.

For me though, it's just an excuse to cook..

Duck confit, caramel potatoes, homemade potato chips, braised red cabbage and a reduced red wine, duck stock and cream gravy.
IMG_5432.JPG

In Denmark we celebrate Saint Martin of Tours every year on this date by eating goose or more recently duck(sorry Erik). We call it “Morten’s aften” as Martin somehow turned into Morten on the way from France. The story goes that Martin was to be appointed bishop, but tried to escape the task by hiding among a flock of geese. The geese didn’t cooperate and so as bishop, Martin ordered that every household should slaughter and cook a goose at least once a year.

Duck confit, caramel potatoes, homemade potato chips, braised red cabbage and a reduced red wine, duck stock and cream gravy.
View attachment 281296

I have a hunch my friend that you can make duck that even I would eat! :)

Happy Saint Martin of Tours Day.

Reactions: Kgp

View attachment 281296
That sounds amazing. Love duck confit!

I have to give the domesticated duck credit for still somehow coming ahead in all my confit experiments even though they were always quite cheap. Tried spent hen, wild duck, pheasant, and some others but surpisingly none really improved upon the simple cheap domesticated duck.

View attachment 281296

I know you're talking about @HumbleHomeCook, but there is more than one Erik here (me), and I'd gladly eat that.

Tempura! The fish is tautog.

IMG_0431.jpeg

Picked him and a salmon up earlier from the fish monger. That’s a 4 lb ‘tog next to a 13.5lb salmon.

IMG_0427.jpeg

The bones are substantial and I had to sharpen my Deba after.
IMG_0428.jpeg

Sanmai oroshi. Probably not going to be hired anywhere soon, but I did pretty well.
IMG_0429.jpeg

Would have been nice if they’d bled the fish, but not really under my control this time.

Tempura! The fish is tautog.

View attachment 281373

Picked him and a salmon up earlier from the fish monger. That’s a 4 lb ‘tog next to a 13.5lb salmon.

View attachment 281374

The bones are substantial and I had to sharpen my Deba after.
View attachment 281375

Sanmai oroshi. Probably not going to be hired anywhere soon, but I did pretty well.
View attachment 281376

Would have been nice if they’d bled the fish, but not really under my control this time.
If I could have mine just slightly more well done, please?

So apparently a dude called Keith went with his wife to Peter Luger’s in New York, around the time of the drama with the NYT review and the Michelin star. Undeterred, they came home and opened a steakhouse called Keef the Beef, and that is how my wife discovered butter-drenched steak this past Monday. Less than a week later she wanted it again, so we visited our nearest meat source. They have a butcher/kitchen schtick that any micro-economist would love; we declined the premium service and went home with the product. Not bad, 50USD for a T-bone.

Knife used: the passaround MagnaCut. Some edge deformation has happened over the last month or two of use. The heel in particular has suffered garlic cloveskin, but the knife still goes through paper towel without hesitation.

I need better ventilation.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpeg
    IMG_0089.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
松仁色米 or “stir-fried fish morsels with pine nuts” from Dunlop’s “Land of Fish and Rice”
Rice- medium grain nishiki
Sautéed carrot greens from my garden
Roasted carrots from my garden (yes they are this red)
IMG_0443.jpeg

松仁色米
I only had green peppers in the garden so no red. Would have been pretty.
IMG_0441.jpeg

Prep was pretty minimal.
IMG_0438.jpeg

Carrot tops I parboiled and then sautéed, hoping to cut the bitterness. It worked.
IMG_0442.jpeg

Prep
IMG_0439.jpeg

Carrots, super red
IMG_0440.jpeg

Knife: Jack Clarke thicc mini cleaver passaround

Pollo en mole verde de Michoacán.

It’s amazing that something so delicious photographs so poorly. Knife used for this entire dinner (when it’s not my Vitamix) is the Jack Clarke thicc mini cleaver passaround.

IMG_0455.jpeg

Prep
IMG_0449.jpeg

Not sure what I’m going to do with this other 5 lbs of tomatillos though

IMG_0451.jpeg

Back