Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I did some pork ribs. This is very similar piece of meat as the belly you were doing. Main difference is that I was not marinading it. I just put some salt, pepper and cumin on the previous day.

I tried to cook it several times in the past month but it was never really good. I was trying fast and hot method and I put meat on the rack but it did not work. The meat was a bit chewy and was definitely not melting in the mouth.

Yesterday I decided for old fashion way how it is done in my country. I put the ribs in the pan and put in some water and started slow roast. First bones up and then I turned the 3 times in the course of 2.5 hours.

It came out perfect:
swAq4YD.jpg

On the plate together with some cooked red cabbage, roasted veggies from the pan, mashed potatoes and some jus from meat:

xoJ3Vv5.jpg

Brilliant, that looks great! Never met a pork roast I didn't love—same can be said for fried chicken.

Potentially too contentious an issue to get into here and not really germane to a knife forum. However, the short answer is because I want to for environmental, health, and ethical/moral reasons. I have no kick against omnivores, I don't comment on their choices, and I'm happy to share meals with them.
I'm sure I'm not the only vegetarian or almost vegetarian on KKF. There are probably some lurking vegans too.

My wife's a pescetarian, made me a better cook because I end up cooking a meat-friendly meal in addition to the veg/fish supper each night.

Interestingly, my knife collection would look very different if I were a vegetarian—gone would be my suji, deba, yanagi, honesuki, hankotsu, western boner, butcher cleaver, oyster and clam knives, fishbone tweezer, scaler. Being a vegetarian would've saved my a tonne of money—I'd just need a gyuto and petty.

Regarding the black beans—(you're talking the barely moist, fermented black beans, not the ones in sauce or oil right?)—I just keep mine in a container in the 'fridge, they seem to last forever! Seriously, mine must be at least a couple of years old.

In your veggie Mapo Tofu, do you fry up the shiitake before adding them? Have you tried Quorn—which I've heard come pretty close to a meat-like texture. Inspired me to do a veg Mapo for my wife.

I've vacillated between ovo-lacto vegetarian and pescetarian for a very long time with an occasional blind eye turned toward the use of lard or maybe chicken stock. While I'm no monk I sort of observe parts of the Vinaya, the Buddhist rule book for monks, which places anything killed specifically for you off limits. That pretty much eliminates mussels and oysters as well as scallop sushi for me.
I never was entirely on board with the fake meat thing or, god forbid, fake cheese, so I've never tried the Quorn products. It isn't a moral judgement it just seems weird to me. This place https://www.theherbivorousbutcher.com/ isn't too far from my house and is supposed to be good as far as fake meat goes but I just haven't been motivated to try it.
I stir fried the chopped shitakes with the chili bean sauce https://usa.lkk.com/en/products/chili-bean-sauce , the salted black beans (as you described), ginger, garlic, and chilis/hot peppers. I suppose you could maybe sub seitan for the shitakes, or for that matter creminis but I really like shitakes.
I have a cheap deba (which pretty much never gets used), and a cheap usuba but my main knives are gyutos or tall pettys that aren't too far removed from mini-gyutos. I do sort of have a jones for a nakiri or vegetable cleaver and/or a bunka/k-tip santoku. People who like knives seem to be fairly resourceful in figuring out a justification for another knife, I can see how I might want honesuki or a robust fukayuki for harder cheeses.
You make some great looking food. Cheers

Last edited:
I can imagine how much money I'd have saved if my wife, who I adore, was a teetotaling vegetarian...

I can imagine how much money I'd have saved if my wife, who I adore, was a teetotaling vegetarian...

My wife is extremely low maintenance/non-materialistic for which I'm extremely grateful but she is definitely not a teetotaler. She is perfectly happy with something on the order of a bottle of Buffalo Trace but also not one to say "no" to Macallam 25 if on offer. She has the same sort of sensibilities when it comes to wines and beers.
When we go out to eat she'll order something with pork in at least 60% of the time.

Spicy Korean BBQ chicken (dakgogi)—drumsticks, shoyu, gochujang, apple juice, demerara sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, scallions, Taiwanese persevered chili and shrimp oil.

VOdag16.jpg

MNFER9x.jpg

Well I think I just found my favorite thread, so many good ideas on here to try and replicate.

Sous vide double cut pork chop finished on BGE.

Ken

Attachments

• 9E9A0780-D87A-41F8-90BB-43AD56B98838.jpeg
    9E9A0780-D87A-41F8-90BB-43AD56B98838.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 0CA84583-874A-48BA-A1E5-B970CAECF9E1.jpeg
    0CA84583-874A-48BA-A1E5-B970CAECF9E1.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 61
Made this the other night:

Xufuj3J.jpg

Riff on fish'n'chips from Adam Handling's book. Pea puree, scraps, cod and granny smith's apple. Added some gnocchi to make it a bit more substantial as a main.

Again, sorry my photos are so relentlessly ****, phone camera.

B-day steak (for 2) - reverse sear (single bone from the short end prime ribeye)

B5zXKnu.jpg

with one slice of "bacon" (48 hrs sous vide pork belly A' la Japonaise then seared off for yumminess)

60auThy.jpg

and some Mac 'n Quattro Formaggi ...

rzDOcj9.jpg

Nice to go 'light & healthy' for a change ...

Boned out chicken thigh, poached in stock and finished under the broiler, with bistro potatoes..

image.jpeg

Back