Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just starting on J food, could you reccomend any brand of mirin?
Judging by the FDA labelling, Eden is either bottled in Japan for the US market or imported in bulk and bottled here.
This site is my source for all things Japanese cooking.
We shop at the same Japanese market, so it's pretty easy for me to cook her recipes.
Her mirin primer mentions Eden as a good choice for mirin with no added sugar!
This page will explain all the different grades of mirin and recommend brands that should be available in the States.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/mirin/I've been using this one, which is tasty, but I can't remember why I selected it.
Nijiya has a whole shelf or mirin, but the labels are in Japanese so I can only select by the FDA ingredients label, which is stuck on before exporting the the US. With Covid, I'm trying to get in and out ASAP so I don't browse as much as I'd like to...
IMG_7121.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg

Nijiya has web store, but it is funky...
https://www.nijiyashop.com/index.html

Last edited:
I use the eden Mirin too, it’s about the best I can find in my part of Canada without having to special order. It’s a lot more $ than the aji or kottori Mirin, but much better quality.

It is indeed imported from japan (if you buy the bulk qty it is in a Japanese box). I also like their ume plum and brown rice vinegar (also from japan)
22A95FEB-5E46-43E0-B2F0-7A7B94F0BF5D.png

The below is what I've been using so far:

View attachment 120465View attachment 120466

Judging by the FDA labelling, Eden is either bottled in Japan for the US market or imported in bulk and bottled here.
This site is my source for all things Japanese cooking.
We shop at the same Japanese market, so it's pretty easy for me to cook her recipes.
Her mirin primer mentions Eden as a good choice for mirin with no added sugar!
This page will explain all the different grades of mirin and recommend brands that should be available in the States.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/mirin/I've been using this one, which is tasty, but I can't remember why I selected it.
Nijiya has a whole shelf or mirin but the labels are in Japanese so I can only select by the FDA ingredients label, which is stuck on before exporting the the US. With Covid, I'm trying to get in and out ASAP so I don't browse as much as I'd like to...
View attachment 120490
View attachment 120489
Nijiya has web store, but it is funky...
https://www.nijiyashop.com/index.html

The below is what I've been using so far:

View attachment 120465View attachment 120466

Coming off my wife's cooking rotation and into my first day I had a plan. But... She casually turns and mentions that she forgot that she had taken a couple "little" pork roasts out of the freezer to thaw. We had a bit of a busy weekend so she changed her cooking plans and then forgot about the pork.

Alrighty...Well I don't want the pork to go to waste so what I do I have here?

These were actually two small roasts of the four I cut from a larger one. They were individually sealed but then put into a common bag for marking. My thought being we would just pull one out at a time but the wife just pulled the bag out and tossed it into the fridge without much thought.

It's just her and I and this is like, several days of meat... Did I mention she made great burritos yesterday? :)

nBc01rG.jpg

Alrighty... Since we're derailed, what else is in there that should get used up?

WNGN4RU.jpg

Look at that onion... 😞 No. No I didn't do that. She... I mean, let's use that up huh? :)

V4YTqme.jpg

*Tadafusa 180mm Blue 2.

Time to figure something out...

Home from work, my cooking night and have to use up some of that left over pork roast...

jcIBGlO.jpg

*The Tadafusa B2 180mm again - finished on a Shapton Glass 4k. Love this little value-packed knife!

Cubed up some of the pork and gave it a quick sear in lard with sage and oregano. Homemade refried pinto beans, again in lard, with onions, garlic, lime, oregano, and cumin. Most proud of this because it's the first time I gave it a go in one of my carbon steel pans. I was confident in my seasoning but still a little hesitant. Rinsed right out with hot water like nothing! Now, I know our friend @Michi would make those corn tortillas but I ain't that good and I buy mine from a little Mexican shop down the road. I get a tall stack, split them out and freeze them. Only takes an hour or so for 'em to thaw. Great thing to have around on work nights.

Coil Stove???!!! 😲:p
0T1FBzG.jpg

*Made In stainless 10", Matfer Bourgeat carbon 9", Matfer Bourgeat carbon 10".

Tasty. :)
SmBRZKu.jpg

Last edited:
Love the look of this!
I’ve never made a tortilla from scratch, truth be told…
Making corn tortillas is a very simple and fun process that can be done fairly quickly(of course getting them perfect everytime is a different story) I recommend everyone to get some masa and give it a try once I made my own once I haven't ever thought about buying them again. Flour tortillas on the other hand are a lot more labor intensive and take a lot of practice to get right

Can't remember who posted something like this, but I'm certain that I stole the idea from here. And I'm glad I did because it was awesome.
Cod and risotto alla milanese.
IMG_1832.jpg

I used Marcella Hazan's recipe for the risotto. She says to add marrow, pancetta og prosciutto when sweating off the onion and uses no wine. Both things I haven't tried before. I took the liberty to add a little lemon juice add the end and it was just perfect. Easily the best thing I have eaten this year. Can't wait to make it again.

yFMZJgMKceg2QSrD9DmZ_TBFxpSM9wmZwaQKDNt5hKCnYg3L38f595Cfenpea-vyBE97M3bD2y4dzX8qjGvEt_o6ACivvSf0_dhtCIy2c0Tjke7d1tiQzxM7DcVEZrc86fMYQzPv

Weird blueberry salad thing I made. Chef Brooke says blueberries don't belong in salads, blasphemy I say!

Can you share the ingredients? I'm really fascinated. Looks like blueberries, dots of blue cheese, poppy seeds, butter lettuce, dill fronds, salt-roasted pearl onions, ( sliced endive?) and something smaller than pears, but whatever they are, they look delicious.

Last edited:
Can't remember who posted something like this, but I'm certain that I stole the idea from here. And I'm glad I did because it was awesome.
Cod and risotto alla milanese.
View attachment 120850
I used Marcella Hazan's recipe for the risotto. She says to add marrow, pancetta og prosciutto when sweating off the onion and uses no wine. Both things I haven't tried before. I took the liberty to add a little lemon juice add the end and it was just perfect. Easily the best thing I have eaten this year. Can't wait to make it again.
I posted a Panamanian rice with salt cod in the recipe section but I wasn’t smart enough to put meat sauce in it. Looks damm good!

Wow, despite our efforts last night to customize a cookie experience for our daughters, they did not appreciate toothpaste Oreos today! Who knew?!?!:p
Now before you think we are super mean, and maybe we are, ever since I plastered the house, including items inside the refrigerator, with googly eyes for when they woke up years ago on April 1rst, let's just say I set a high bar and created quite an expectation for that day going forward. I hope everyone's day is going well despite any tomfoolery that might be taking place. May the odds be ever in your favor.
aprilfool.jpg

Lasagna. Made with layers of Marcella's bolognese sauce, béchamel (well, technically, mornay sauce, since I added some parmesan to it), mozzarella, and more parmesan.

Naturally, the pasta is homemade :)

The pasta dough is half Caputo tipo-00 pasta flour, and half durum semolina. 500 g of flour and 250 g of whole egg, no salt. I usually prefer to salt the pasta water instead.

I pre-cooked the pasta sheets for about 60 seconds, which makes for a nicer and smoother texture.
IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4162.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back