Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily he brought his own ketchup in a pocket-sized bottle.

Look, if you’re having dinner at a Michelin starred place, and especially if it’s prix fixe, then you are there to experience the chef’s expressions. If you believe that all the food should be seasoned to your expectations, then maybe you are wasting your $1500 there. Perhaps next time you could tell the waiter that your tastebuds are burnt out. Or alternatively, there’s an Applebees down the road.

Last edited:
S’mores are gross
First sausage gravy, and now s’mores. No wonder you like rectangles, you square 😝
Wait, you had s'mores as part of a $1500 dinner at a Michelin 3-star?
And ya’ll thought I had poor taste because I stand by the fact that a shallot is just an onion rubbed with a clove of garlic before mincing. Turns out I’ve been making world class cuisine for yeaaaars in my microwave when I can’t get access to a fire

My wife refers to the one market nearby as "the Mexican store." Though the produce, owners, and most workers are not Mexican. But there is one really nice guy that stocks the fruit there who happens to be Mexican.
Me and my girlfriend called a deli store around the corner 'the Turkish store' for years until we found out the owner and his family are actually Greek. But in our defense, they sold baklava and Turkish bread!

Look, if you’re having dinner at a Michelin starred place, and especially if it’s prix fixe, then you are there to experience the chef’s expressions. If you believe that all the food should be seasoned to your expectations, then maybe you are wasting your $1500 there. Perhaps next time you could tell the waiter that your tastebuds are burnt out. Or alternatively, there’s an Applebees down the road.

I think the wording is a little harsh but I agree with the overall thrust.

Tangentially, while starred tasting menus are something I am not overly enthusiastic about personally I think opinions on them, like French food too, have swung too far the other direction towards people not being able to see how good that food really is. So ironically, that stuff is sort of underrated these days IMO.

Yeah it’s a bit harsh but I feel really strongly about this topic. I suspect the people offering support are trolling. Anyway, prix fixe is the best way to understand a restaurant. I recently went to a place in Boston where the food was other than I would have preferred. I still enjoyed the experience.

The problem with salt is that salt perception is not equal among all people and as a result preferences vary. I don't think it's an insult to the chef at all; it just means you happen to have a different salt preference.

He burnt out his tastebuds from a lifetime of highly salted restaurant food. And he’s now old.

Almost all the small batch stuff I've tried has been really good. Granted I avoid the spicy for the sake of being spicy stuff, but Im totally on board.

I got the Scotch Bonnet and Ginger from Queen majesty recently it is SO good.

I find pretentious chefs a real turn off. No salt on the table is a bad sign. “No substitutions” is worse. If you are a chef in a restaurant the goal is to serve food the customer enjoys and that means dealing with allergies, different palettes, salt sensitivities, dietary restrictions, etc. That means listening to and accommodating the customer. I completely get there are bounds to this but if I’m allergic to wheat and request a sandwich without bread then don’t say “no substitutions” and give me bread.

you are there to experience the chef’s expressions
Thats not a chef, thats a caterer. The chef can do whatever he likes when he cooks for himself.

I mostly agree with you, but ordering bread without wheat a bit like ordering steak without meat to me.
None of the gluttifrutti crap I've ever had remotely resembled palatable bread.

Firmly believe in food/bev the customer is not always right and if it’s not a match, then find a new restaurant. Most fine dining restaurants will blow your mind if you give them an opportunity to make you something around dietary restrictions. I have a lot of vegetarian and vegan friends and honestly fine dining is where I gravitate with these folks. They tell the waiter their restrictions and the waiter says… we will handle it. Something beautiful comes out and everyone is happy. Asking for a no egg omelette or cassoulet without the meat… yeah no. Try vegan teriyaki down the street 🤷‍♂️.

I don’t think adding salt to a dish is breaking any laws. I’ve never had to do it at a high end restaurant but 100% salt perception has variability. There are two ways to add salt though… like a normal human or like a sadist and shaking it vigorously to indicate to the dining room that you think the food is under seasoned. We’ve all seen these people…. Special place in hell.

Last edited:
most GF stuff is crap unless you make it yourself. Quality ingredients cost 10x traditional ones. For example, pizzelle cookies made with rice flour are crap. Macadamia flour and you are getting somewhere.

No, a caterer is someone who cooks whatever you contracted for at your location. I do agree about the allergies, etc part. BUT, if the food is not to your taste, despite being properly executed, that is on you, not the chef. It’s like a bad recipe.

If the food needs more salt for your taste then add salt. The number of Michelin stars or the check size should not justify eating food that you find bland. Shaming your customers for wanting to like the way their food tastes has always been a pretty reprehensible way to run a hospitality business. So I'll bring my shaker. Thank you very much.

I've never been to a starred restaurant that wasn't accommodating to my wife's shellfish allergy. This dish was diver scallops on the tasting menu. Maybe the plating suffered a bit with the substitution but everything else was seamless and delicious. Sea bass wasn't even on the menu.... Restaurant Daniel this past April. Still excellent and recommended !

Attachments

• 20220520_225145.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
I've never been to a starred restaurant that wasn't accommodating to my wife's shellfish allergy. This dish was diver scallops on the tasting menu. Maybe the plating suffered a bit with the substitution but everything else was seamless and delicious. Sea bass wasn't even on the menu.... Restaurant Daniel this past April. Still excellent and recommended !

well to be fair an allergy is an allergy and INAL but I'm guessing legally you can't exactly serve someone something if they've told you theyre allergic to it.

that said, I agree. Ive never been to a tasting menu place that treated an allergy or sensitivity or w.ever as an inconvenience. I dont know if that would be different if I waited until the night of, when I book I do make sure to mention it, maybe that would be tougher for them.

Is that a bed of rice under the sea bass?
If it is, I'm kind of surprised a michelin star restaurant would 'toast' it this much.

Fish looks delicious though!

Where can you get fresh fruit now that actually still tastes like fruit. The stuff in the markets around here never seems to ripen, stays hard and tastes like plastic. Used to love snacking on fruit when I was a kid and now you can't eat it.
1691854445129.jpeg

Here.

I find pretentious chefs a real turn off. No salt on the table is a bad sign. “No substitutions” is worse. If you are a chef in a restaurant the goal is to serve food the customer enjoys and that means dealing with allergies, different palettes, salt sensitivities, dietary restrictions, etc. That means listening to and accommodating the customer. I completely get there are bounds to this but if I’m allergic to wheat and request a sandwich without bread then don’t say “no substitutions” and give me bread.

Thats not a chef, thats a caterer. The chef can do whatever he likes when he cooks for himself.

We had a delightful tasting menu lunch at a 2-star restaurant in Florence a couple months ago (Santa Elisabetta). Once we sat down they asked if there was anything we didn’t eat. My wife has several things she doesn’t eat, like goat cheese, duck, etc. These are just preferences, not allergies.

What was very cool was they substituted ingredients for her on the fly on the tasting menu. I eat everything, so as the food came out the waiter would point out where they did substitutions on my wife’s version while I got the “normal” version. No s’mores, but I’m sure they would’ve provided extra salt if requested 😂

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread but this is my unpopular opinion: The placement of those ads when you click on "search" is shi**y.
It's covering the search box! Just noticed this today because I always use my phone for KKF. Since it's the weekend, I decided to use the home computer. It won't go away either. That "X" won't do the trick, as it should. Can somebody show a newbie how to get rid of it, please?
IMG_7792.jpeg

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread but this is my unpopular opinion: The placement of those ads when you click on "search" is shi**y.
It's covering the search box! Just noticed this today because I always use my phone for KKF. Since it's the weekend, I decided to use the home computer. It won't go away either. That "X" won't do the trick, as it should. Can somebody show a newbie how to get rid of it, please?View attachment 261655

Look around in your settings. You can turn them off.

I was today years old when I found out about ad-blockers...lol. Always thought I had to pay for them. Still, that ad placement is just rude. Also, found out that if you clicked on the word "search" instead of the magnifying glass, you get a full screen for search, without the ads.

Last edited:
Back