Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a first attempt at making kimchi earlier this month. Used napa cabbage, radishes, daikon radishes, carrots, green onion, some ginger, garlic, sugar, gochujang and salt. Unfortunately the store did not have fish sauce that was called for but will add for the next batch. Turned out pretty tasty.

Kimchi.jpeg

A buddy gifted me a couple of these, they have a glass plate to weigh it down and a spring to keep it compressed, and a lid that lets the CO2 or whatever out, either manually (at first) or automatically over time.

20210827_225558.jpg

First experiment with fermenting a chili sauce.

1,000g de stemmed, chopped up mixture of home grown (mostly) ripe chilis- Serrano, Guero/Santa fe Grande, Anaheim/New Mex, Poblano/Ancho, Turkish Isot/Urfa Biber.

50g fresh garlic

1,000ml water

50g kosher salt, dissolved in the 1,000ml of warm water.

I'm using a cheap fermentation lock and a little plastic plastic device that holds the vegetables below the brine while allowing gasses to escape rather than a glass weight, the recipe given above is just about perfectly sized for a half gallon mason jar if peppers + garlic are pressed down firmly a few times while filling jar. Had about 1/2 cup of brine extra.

Check back in 3 weeks or so, from what I understand.

20210827_221323.jpg

20210827_222218.jpg

20210827_224805.jpg

The several chinensis chili varieties are going into cooked & canned hot sauce with a sweet peach & citrus juice base as I've done the last 8 years or so (AKA "not honey")- This year, these will be a mixture of Ghost/Bhut Jolokia, Habanero, Scotch Bonnet/Jamaican Goat.

20210827_232748.jpg

Well... These won't last much longer...

OAsbrwo.jpg

Hmmmm...???

iGRjgbu.jpg

Cooked 'em down with some water and spices. Will make a fine breakfast yogurt topping for a couple mornings. Along with the predictable cinnamon, all spice, sugar, etc. I like to add a pinch of white pepper, a few drops of aged Balsamic, and ( :oops: ) a tiny pinch of MSG.

Flashback to yesterday...

2K4A1Qr.jpg

Made up some oven fries and as usual, I made too much and tossed them in the fridge. So, today...
jtx7Cgu.jpg

Hmmmm...???
FQmGWQd.jpg

There's half a jalapeno and some cubed ham...
zP7MvBA.jpg

Eggs and cheese = fritatta.
8l1Q4KB.jpg

WyNlOuc.jpg

Hinokuni White #1 180mm Gyuto and a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel 10" pan.

Flashback to yesterday...

2K4A1Qr.jpg

Made up some oven fries and as usual, I made too much and tossed them in the fridge. So, today...
jtx7Cgu.jpg

Hmmmm...???
FQmGWQd.jpg

There's half a jalapeno and some cubed ham...
zP7MvBA.jpg

Eggs and cheese = fritatta.
8l1Q4KB.jpg

WyNlOuc.jpg

Hinokuni White #1 180mm Gyuto and a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel 10" pan.

You make great oven fries. Nice frittata.

More jerky 🥰

One of my favorite cutting tasks. Slicing long thin strips, skin on, is extremely satisfying when the knife is sharp. Take whole salmon filets, slice lengthwise in long strips, brine overnight, then seasoned with a mixture of black pepper, white pepper, msg, and maple syrup. Pictured is my Burke gyuto and Dante the Dane.

83D6EEB3-0D83-4C17-987B-76B48D72490A.jpeg
0A5891D2-4505-49E1-BA21-8D034EACE96D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thai green curry with the usual ingredients, plus shrimp, oyster mushrooms, green beans, home made shrimp stock, fresh bamboo shoots.
View attachment 139958
View attachment 139959
Looks really good! Have you tried doing it with homemade curry paste? A little bit more work, but is totally worth it.

https://www.recipetineats.com/thai-green-curry-paste-recipe/
The amount of flavor and the vibrant color is outstanding. I’ve done it with a mortar and pestle but it’s not worth it IMO, a food processor works just as well. One of my favorite dishes to cook, and was what I cooked my lady on our first date.

i have to say..
i'm on a handful of forums where people post their food (including egullet), and you guys honestly stomp the competition. there are some occasional gems elsewhere, but the overall average level of quality here is the best i've seen.

haha. you actually have fresh wasabi and samehada grater. first time i've personally seen someone have this at home in the US. :)

i have to say..
i'm on a handful of forums where people post their food (including egullet), and you guys honestly stomp the competition. there are some occasional gems elsewhere, but the overall average level of quality here is the best i've seen.

haha. you actually have fresh wasabi and samehada grater. first time i've personally seen someone have this at home in the US. :)

Agreed!

I am just a self taught home cook, but I do love high quality ingredients. Lots of chefs on here that make my stuff look like cafeteria food lol. I definitely need to work on getting a bigger grater though.

@Lars care to share that falafel recipe? Looks tasty!
No problem, here you are:

250g dry chickpeas, soaked
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Finely chopped cilantro and parsley
2 tbsp flour

Use the coarse blade on a meat grinder and grind the chickpeas, onion and garlic. Grind the mix a second time.
Mix with the rest of the ingredients and fry in 170C oil until golden.

Last edited:
Back