Monthly knife theme

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@SolidSnake03 Style Sales September. :)

I'm only half joking. Might be kind of cool to have folks putting up some screaming deals and giving forum members shots at things they might not otherwise be able to. Or just snatch up something they want. People could look forward to seeing what gets listed, what deals will be had. I don't know, maybe it would be restricted to supporting members or something.

Anyways...
Flipper alert’s about to have a field day

Maybe. I think by restricting it to supporting members only it would dramatically reduce the chances of that. I don't mean restricting the whole of BST to supporting members for the month, just the specific listings that might want to offer. And also, it wouldn't have to mean the buyer willingly gets ripped off. Maybe it's just knocking off a percentage point or two to make the sale more attractive.

Maybe. I think by restricting it to supporting members only it would dramatically reduce the chances of that.
Becoming a Supporting Member is a shortcut for flippers to pay to play on BST instead of earning that privilege via actual participation in forums.
The most egregious BST listings are often by sellers who bought a SM just to access BST…

January is an easy one fwiw. Japanuary 👌. Rock only J knives for the month. Skiers like to say Japow in Japanuary ;). Maybe one day :)!
J knife January is a good one!

Misunderstood May - pick whichever knife you feel is the most underrated in your collection.

Middleweight May - no lasers or workhorses, pick something in between.

Jumping ahead you could do Nimble November - use your lightest knife
I like Middleweight May, though I'd have to submit some of my options to the elder council for ratification. The only ones I'm confident to call midweight are my Tanaka ginsan and Makoto Ryusei.

Things like a Kochi or Shindo where they're relatively middleweight but super thin BTE make up most of my collection.

I like Middleweight May, though I'd have to submit some of my options to the elder council for ratification. The only ones I'm confident to call midweight are my Tanaka ginsan and Makoto Ryusei.

Things like a Kochi or Shindo where they're relatively middleweight but super thin BTE make up most of my collection.
Minimum 1g per mm of edge length.

Christ I think my Chopper King is the only thing heavy enough to qualify under those rules
Yeah, I was thinking of saying something like 8 grams per cm, but that seemed to complicated. I think for me the knives that qualify at 1g/mm are my 210 Denka, which is exactly 210 grams, 240 wa Jiro at 258, Wat Pro 180 Nakiri is 206, Fellipi 225 at 226g, Harner 90mm paring at 90g, Kamon Denty 240 at 243, Shibazi S-210, and a few vintage carbons with bolsters. Handles really make a big difference in overall weight.

Maybe it would be better to do something like spine over heel >3mm.

I haven't touched my cleaver since March since I've been out of town most of this month and pretty much exclusively playing with my new Unshu Yukimitsu on the rare occasion I'm home....I kind of miss ARM.

I'm thinking of doing a Migaki May, which these days my collection effectively makes it stainless May but I think it'd be nice to see the true edge retention qualities of different stainless steels over the month, as I usually reach for carbon knives.

Some of these ideas are actually fun. Who's throwing it in officially for May? I hope it won't be "misunderstood May" because I basically used 1KA for that.

For May, options:
Longest knife, but nothing under 240 edge length
Oldest knife you still have, even if it’s a Henckels
First j-knife you bought
Midget May (nothing over 200mm edge length) for the folks who like 180s

No multi-tasker May: No gyuto/chefs knifes

For May, options:
Longest knife, but nothing under 240 edge length
Oldest knife you still have, even if it’s a Henckels
First j-knife you bought
Midget May (nothing over 200mm edge length) for the folks who like 180s

No multi-tasker May: No gyuto/chefs knifes
I want to see everyone trying to cut onions and garlic with their 300+ sujis lol

Back